SS and healthy eating: Why avoid powdered milk?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FD, you go, girl!!! Here's your smiley: :sick Not exactly throwing up, but it gives the right idea!

Hydrogenated fats were developed for the soap industry. After sylvie's post, they are not even appropriate for that!!! I was going to buy some and experiment with some recipes, but now I won't. How can I, knowing that the workers are put in so much danger.

I will take the free animal fat I get from the butcher this fall. I just made 25 bars from my own rendering (lard, tallow, chicken fat) and that will hold me and my extended family for a while.

Thanks, wz, we can always count on you for the links to back up the statements!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for that smiley ;)
I make a lot of my own remedies also. Another thing I grew up with. When I was a kid, my mom would send me to the "drugstore" and tell me what to ask for and I would get a herbal remedy to take home. Or my mom would go, have a talk with the "druggist" and he might give her a vitamin supplement (mostly flavored codliver oil) for one of us kids. Doctors would "prescribe" these also. We had teas and tinctures and ointments and such. I couldn't even swallow a pill. Didn't see one 'til we came to the States.

Years later, after living and growing up here, we realized how lucky we were that we were so darn poor in Germany. Only the wealthy could afford the processed foods. :lol:
We ate fresh from the farmers market vegetables, brown bread (made with whole flower), real milk, real sour milk (oh I miss that, it is sooo jummy), hard cheeses, very little meat (twice a week), fish on fridays (because people would give us dirty looks if we didn't eat fish), it was pickled herring, sour cream and potatoes boiled in the skin - Oh no, I'm drooling!!! Pickled herring was cheap then! We ate oatmeal made from whole rolled oats with milk and just a little sugar sprinkled on top. Lots of potatoes, my mother is surprised that I never got sick of them. Soup and stew was a staple, a strip of bacon goes a long way to flavor soup. Soup bones were free, I loved the marrow. We rarely had cake or cookies. Those were for special occasions and my mother made them from scratch. For my birthday I used to get a fruit tart made with strawberries, and if the money was there my mom would make whipped cream to go with it.
I recently made whipped cream to go with a pie. It was the first time my stepson and his girlfriend had the real thing. They scarfed it up. He said, if it had chocolate in it, it would almost be like mousse.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Most american sweets were too sweet and cloying for me, so they were easy to give up.
I also gave up the husband. My friends told me, I looked better in about a month.
:thumbsup