SS and healthy eating: Why avoid powdered milk?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Exactly, Teresa! The juices make your blood sugar and insulin levels spike, making you crave more, just like sweets do. But the whole fruits, with the fiber, pectin, etc, gives you a slower, steady rate of releasing the sugars into your system, at a rate that your cells can actually burn it as energy rather than storing it as fat because it is just too much at once.

I want to do the stocking up in my cupboards and closets, not on my buns and thighs!!! :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I want to do the stocking up in my cupboards and closets, not on my buns and thighs!!! :lol:
Too late for me... :rolleyes:

I'm working on thinning out the buns and thighs, though, and stocking up the cupboard :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can thin them out fast, with all you do, by dramatically reducing sugar and processed stuff and dramatically increasing high fiber veggies (LGI veggies...carrots, broccolli, anything green and leafy, green beans, etc, and whole, raw fruits with the skin when the skin is edible) along with your healthy meat and eggs. Nothing marked "lite" or "diet" or "sugar-free" or anything processed. Try for 2 lbs of veggies per day (not counting potatoes, dry beans, yams, peas, corn, etc....count those as carbs and limit them a bit....not too much if you are nursing, though.)

Don't limit healthy fats too much, either. Especially if nursing. Butter, whole milk, eggs with the yolks, lard instead of Crisco, olive oil (extra virgin only) instead of canola or veg oil.

You will be amazed at the change in your body composition!

Eat more veggies!!! That is where most people in my classes are going wrong in the diets they've tried. The fiber slows the impact on the blood sugar and insulin levels and preserves a higher metabolism....fat burning rather than fat storage. Try for half raw and half cooked. Carry baggies of veggies in the car or in your pocket and you will eat more than you ever thought you could.

Don't count calories. Read labels and avoid added sugar (look at the ingredient list, the little grid will list naturally occuring sugar, which is ok, for example a can of tomatoes, just tomatoes, will show sugar in the grid but none in the ingredient list. This is naturally occuring sugar and doesn't count if the food is whole, like tomatoes!)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I can definitely eat more veggies! I love raw veggies!

Yes, I am still nursing, and the WIC office told me to go to Low Fat everything. I told her no thanks. I'd rather go RAW everything...Oh the looks I got!

Peas are a carb?! I so didn't know that!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Unless you are eating snow peas, they are more veggie. I used to eat peas and corn almost exclusively as my veggies! But we do think of them as "starchy" veggies, which really means carbs. So eat them, but remember that a serving is about 1/2 cup. For weight loss for women, the average carb servings tolerated is about 2 per day, 4 for men. Not counting carbs per say, eating all the other veggies as much as you want, but limiting the starchy ones, those higher on the glycemic index.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I didn't want to start a thread on this book which would be like promoting it.
That said, has anyone read "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell? It was recommended to me today. I am a non-activist vegetarian and don't give a hoot what anyone else eats. We must all live within our own skin. This recommends plant based foods and advises against dairy, etc., to avoid certain diseases, basing this on the China Project.
I know other sites and authors have been discussed here and hoped for feedback on this book.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have not read the book, but just read a Wikipedia article outlining it. So my comments are not based in any detailed knowledge of the book, so take them with a grain of salt.

I am a big fan of Weston Price's research, done in the 30's, in which he studied many (not just one) cultures and tribes that had vibrant health and found 11 similarities in their diets. None were vegan. All ate some form of animal products.

I wonder if the biggest issue here is the way animals are raised now, stuffed with corn and confined to buildings and bred to withstand the abuse they suffer. Also not culled to develop genetics that can live a long and healthy and productive life as happens in the wild and on thoughtful homesteads, but killed in their youth.

Also the amount of animal products consumed typically today. It is common for two people (or even one!) to eat a whole chicken in one sitting. There was a time when one chicken fed a large family, sometimes more than one meal.

Case in point: Research has shown that pastured eggs do not raise your "bad" cholesterol. Also that meat from pastured animals, not fed corn, is high in healthy fats such as Omega III's. This is not the type of animal product likely consumed in The China Study.

Also, the authors of The China Study recommend supplemental B vitamins. Hmmm.....not a complete diet, then.

Just some thoughts.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's the level of Omega 6's in the commercial style feed that causes us the problems. Pastured animals eat the grasses and forbs that increase the amount of Omega 3's in both their diet and ours. We need to return to nature, not constantly be mislead into believing that humans have a 'better way'.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The China book has been debated in low carb circles. Some serious flaws were uncovered. I will see if I can dig up some links for you about that.

And yes, PUFAs are a BIG problem. I have links on that too, but I have to go to work :p