SS and healthy eating: Why avoid powdered milk?

Reaction score
dacjohns said:
I think (but can't say for sure) that powdered "creamers" are not even close to being cream.
Yeah, I figured that but I like Coffemate regular in my coffee. Cream is a close second and much harder to keep in the cabinet. I just never knew why this guy said creamer was so bad for you.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Reinbeau--As moderator, could you get us that vomit thingy on this forum, please, please? Then, when the political debates get really heated, we could use that as a response to someone's comments!! :D

Okay--I'll be good now :)
Oh, you're always good! :) Just right click on that smiley, save the file and host it somewhere so you can use it whenever your little heart desires :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Powdered creamers are made mostly out of hydrogenated fats. These are the type that are REALLY, REALLY bad for you and I don't know why they are even legal, they are so bad. Not a molecule passes my lips! They are POISON. :sick

Read labels. They are in almost everything that is processed. AKA trans fats.

Oh, what freedom, to have fats back into my life that my body recognizes as food....egg yokes, butter, chicken skin, whole milk, cheese, lard, and I save all the chicken fat to cook with, too. Yum. (in moderation, of course!) And I am thin! You won't find "lite" or "low fat" anything in my cupboards or fridge.

Reaction score
freemotion said:
Powdered creamers are made mostly out of hydrogenated fats. These are the type that are REALLY, REALLY bad for you and I don't know why they are even legal, they are so bad. Not a molecule passes my lips! They are POISON. :sick

Oh, what freedom, to have fats back into my life that my body recognizes as food....egg yokes, butter, chicken skin, whole milk, cheese, lard, and I save all the chicken fat to cook with, too. Yum. (in moderation, of course!) And I am thin! You won't find "lite" or "low fat" anything in my cupboards or fridge.
Thank You

I'll read the label.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Powdered creamers are mostly corn syrup solids. It is just sugar, sugar and more sugar.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:

Free, you started a nice thread here. In the search for better food, I have been told that almost all salad dressings along with mayo is bad for a person. What are your thoughts on these?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The only place that sells Greek Yogurt around here - and nearest to our location - is a two hour round trip. That just ain't happening.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Keljonma, what about buying cultures through the mail? Check out www.fiascofarm.com in the recipe section, she lists her suppliers.

Thanks, wifezilla, I was racking my brain last night for that other ingredient, of course, more sugar!!!

Tallman, there are very few salad dressings on the market worth purchasing. Newman's Own is about the only one easily available in the grocery stores here that I will buy. Salad dressings are full of chemicals, it is amazing, and the happy thing is, they are so incredibly easy to make. Many cookbooks have basic recipes. All you do is measure and stir.

Here are my two favorites. Sorry, haven't measured in years.

Parmesan Peppercorn Salad Dressing:

About half mayo (homemade, zippy version if available)
About half sour cream (full-fat, of course!)
A big pile of romano or parmesan cheese
Freshly ground pepper
Gradually add a little water or milk until the desired consistancy is achieved.

My favorite salad dressing is Italian, made from fresh herbs. I call this my green dressing, because it is VERY green in the bottle! I make up some herb cubes in the summer, just put mostly basil in the food processer with some extra virgin olive oil. If I have it at the same time, I will also add oregano, parsley, chives. I have separate ice cube trays I use for this, the ones with the smaller cubes. When they are frozen, roll them up, not touching each other, in wax paper and put in a ziploc freezer bag.

Use the standard (Good Seasonings-type) cruet and add vinegar and water to the line, add one cube and some salt and pepper (maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2-1 tsp of sea salt) and let it thaw on the counter for an hour or two. Then add organic canola oil (big brands are full of hexane and other chemicals, this is one thing I spend a little extra money on.) Add a little stevia or agave syrup, about half what you might add to a cup of coffee or tea, if you are used to commercial salad dressings. They are all quite sweetened and your dressing might taste funny to you at first.

You will also be missing the MSG, another common poison added to processed foods under many different names.

If you don't have the frozen cubes available, to the water and vinegar and then just go through your cupboards and add some dry herbs. I like the same herbs as above, maybe 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp chives, 2 tsp parsley, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, and a shake or two of cayenne pepper, half packet of stevia powder. It is best if made a few hours in advance, but you can use it right away. The flavors will develop over time, next day is better.

Don't be afraid to experiment!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been told that almost all salad dressings along with mayo is bad for a person. What are your thoughts on these?
The main problem with most salad dressings in they contain one or both of the following ingredients...

High fructose corn syrup or
soy oil

I don't consider either one of these things "food". More like industrial waste.

For salad dressing I use olive oil and balsamic vinegar with herbs and spices.

For mayo, well, as soon as I use up the rest of my stockpile, I am learning to make my own.

Here is my recipe for bleu cheese dressing...
http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denve...009m2d28-Recipe-Low-Carb-Blue-Cheese-Dressing

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Free, the recipes look like a great place to start. Here's a recipe that is very simple, and I use it all the time.

1/2 Lemon. Just squeeze the juice right on the salad.

In your Parmesan Peppercorn Salad Dressing, you mention zippy mayo. Is this a brand name?

I like mayo, but I stopped eating it about 5 years ago. I'll have to look into the homemade.