Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is well over twice the price of a good quality working line german shepherd here. (I did $ conversion.) And that's for a dog that's registered and all parents have had hips and elbows X rayed as well as all other preventative checks before even breeding.

And now I went looking for some available AKC Australian cattle dogs since they are fairly common on the east side of the state. $1000 for a puppy from champion bloodlines.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I get :somad and :rantabout the doodles. There's no standard, so people don't know what they're getting, or who really were the parents! When I mention to someone that their doodle is most likely from a puppy mill (AKA Commercial Dog Breeding facility but worse), they are so apathetic. One guy said, "Yeah probably, but the kids wanted one":th. Some pure bred dog breeders are no better. It takes time to search out and support the ethical, humane breeder.

In my case my miniature poodle was used for breeding doodles, and I hurried to get him, so that he wouldn't fall into the continuing fate. He was cheap enough, and because of the surrounding area, there are plenty of unethical breeders that could have gotten a hold of him.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was looking for another schipperke a decade back. Looked at some rescues. Many of the rescues were actually more invasive into your life than human adoption agencies.
As someone who has tried to adopt a child and a dog. Yes. lol
I just want to tell them to settle down, they are breeding cross bred poodles, not unicorns! I miss the ease of pet shops and dont think these "registered pet breeders" are any better than back yard breeding, its just that the prices are much higher now. One litter brings in more than I live on in an entire year.
Registration, OFA, PENNhip, and genetic testing is what keeps your favorite breeds alive! Most breeders dont live off of breeding dogs,they actually should be losing money. If they charge 7500 for a dog it is most likely a BYB, which ic obv. unethical
I get :somad and :rantabout the doodles. There's no standard, so people don't know what they're getting, or who really were the parents! When I mention to someone that their doodle is most likely from a puppy mill (AKA Commercial Dog Breeding facility but worse), they are so apathetic. One guy said, "Yeah probably, but the kids wanted one
Ugh yes! the amount of lying on fancy mutt's pedigrees are sad.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Zeus cost us $300. It would have been $250 but we couldn't get back down there with the neuter paperwork in the time frame for the refund. All the money only goes to cover costs. They have a hard time as it is so we just wrote it off as a donation.

Those really expensive cross breeds are usually using the worst examples of the parent breeds because they were cheaper to buy.

Yes, pretty much all reputable breeders I've talked to don't really make money off their dogs.

I got on one person I know that was breeding border collies. We only ever talked online because we met though a MMO and just had Ventrilo for verbal chats. This was back around 2002 or so. She was selling puppies for $2000 then. The father had hip dysplasia. She knew this and never disclosed it to buyers.

Her "but I need to make money."

Me "I can buy a dog with no health defects in the parents that is already partially trained for herding for that price."

Her "no you can't"

Me "here's their website and pricing. Look untrained puppies that don't show the proper instincts are only $500. It's farm country where those dogs are used."

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She was selling puppies for $2000 then. The father had hip dysplasia. She knew this and never disclosed it to buyers.

Her "but I need to make money."
Sorry excuse for unethical breeding. My breeder would never. If any of her pups ends up with CEA she just stops breeding the parents (even though we have no idea if it is genetic or not)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've looked into some LGD rescues....beyond being pricey, plus all the visits and so on, they want them to be house dogs!!! Don't want you to say it's a farm, with livestock and Barn! What the heck do they think these dogs were bred for??? They should be looking for good farms! Nope, visits and house search. I'm just over it with most of the groups.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would never, ever adopt a dog or horse from a rescue, nor would I buy a dog from a breeder with contracts. If I buy any animal, it’s mine and I’ll do as I please with it. Visits to my house! I don’t think so! Those people are control freaks and I’m not playing their games.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would never, ever adopt a dog or horse from a rescue, nor would I buy a dog from a breeder with contracts. If I buy any animal, it’s mine and I’ll do as I please with it. Visits to my house! I don’t think so! Those people are control freaks and I’m not playing their games.
Contracts are good actually! As long as it’s not too crazy. Good breeders have contracts.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've looked into some LGD rescues....beyond being pricey, plus all the visits and so on, they want them to be house dogs!!! Don't want you to say it's a farm, with livestock and Barn! What the heck do they think these dogs were bred for??? They should be looking for good farms! Nope, visits and house search. I'm just over it with most of the groups.
Some shelters are realizing, slowly and somewhat that some animals just cannot live inside someone's house. I've seen some are adopting some cats out as barn cats.

Latest posts