Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's just scary. I know there have only been a few well issues in Western Washington. It was in the news about one little (15 house) subdivision in Auburn being on water restrictions. As I told my husband, if they didn't water their lawns they wouldn't have had an issue with the well.

About 75% of people here don't water lawns. The experts have always said it's better for the grass to let it go dormant in our summer. It grows the rest of the year. That and the half of the lawns that are moss go dormant anyway.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a church key (the wide end) VERY gently, just until I hear the hissing of the broken seal. At the most, I sometimes have to roll that spot along the counter to push the edge back into alignment. Been doing this for years, and re-using the lids for vacuum sealing my freeze dried stuff.

yep, works a charm. so easy too. Mom won't learn how to do it, but that's ok. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok... place is quiet, super, super quiet.

Where did everyone go?

busy with gardens, projects, family events, life - some changes have happened the past month and i'm not sure it will be for the better or not - we'll see...

the heat has made it so i get out early for a few hours in the gardens and then the rest of the afternoon i'm busy tinkering. trying to improve my learning of a different programming language, some graphics things, etc. just to keep my mind busy and having fun in the process. :)

this past week the weather was cooler so that meant i was outside a lot more and that kept me even more busy - some nights i was falling asleep earlier than normal.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mum just left, her little dog didnt want to go! He's a real city-type dog, goes to cafes and doggy day care and so on, but I think he really loves his visits here. He was so settled and sweet with the bunnies. He helped me to round up the ducks at night and was so proud of himself. I doubt he has ever been so muddy in his life!

While its wet here now, we've had water restrictions in Australia for my entire life. People will dob in others if they run their reticulation at the wrong time. There are fines for running water at the wrong times, though I think most people get away with warnings. There is a retic system, where certain house numbers are allowed to water on certain days. They used to put the house numbers on the news at night as to who could water their garden when. Even where I am here, out of the city, there are only two days a week that I can run sprinklers, but hand watering with hose has less restrictions. I let the grass grow over winter and die off over summer. It would be nuts to water all of that area every day.

One of the nicest gardens in town is one that is full of succulents. They can be used so artistically and are so water efficient. I had to save a few from my garden from root rot so I have pieces in old yogurt pots, hoping to grow a few more plants. Even I cant kill them!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandfather had a sailboat.

He never took me on an overnight trip... just daytime.

But he would often go for a weekend or even multi-week trips.

Very cool.
Sounds like fun. I've been experiencing the Christopher Cross song titled "Sailing" :D. Not adventures on water, but I've been right here at home, painting on canvas. Painting a toad house also that another artist (a potter) made and sent to me, unglazed.

Other things too, yard work, collecting garden produce, re-built a small pond. Raising Leghorn chicks that were supposed to be Cornish Rocks.

Last edited: