Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Y’all have a great day!
Yes, my coffees ready, the dogs are fed and I will wait
a bit before I go out and open up the coop
b21270475ec8d63e7cf3d789c9ff8eb6.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
seems like everyone has GI or allergy issues originating from processed food.
What they DO to and ADD to our foods -- much to comply with regs -- is just unreal. But in the name of preserving, shelf life, taste, it's so! I rarely eat out. Buy less and less and grow, preserve own foods, more and more. Most always a garden, farm, etc. So healthy eating mainly, forever. Condiments are minorly used, so little overall use in scheme of things. Just thankful I have no issues, health and eating wise. Many have problems with the slightest amounts of some things it's a shame.

Meats are more problematic of late, to find no added liquids...esp chicken. Thankfully, birds are easier to grow and process for us. The primal cuts of larger animals are usually not so altered before packaging. Luckily, I've noticed I prefer more low meat based foods than years back....soups, chili's, stir fry, are more appealing -- as well as just fresh veggies!

now break out from contact with tomato vines.
My grand mother had issues with tomato vines but could handle the tomatoes and eat them, without issue. My mom swore it wasn't so and only a way to make her pick! 😁

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What they DO to and ADD to our foods -- much to comply with regs -- is just unreal. But in the name of preserving, shelf life, taste, it's so! I rarely eat out. Buy less and less and grow, preserve own foods, more and more. Most always a garden, farm, etc. So healthy eating mainly, forever. Condiments are minorly used, so little overall use in scheme of things. Just thankful I have no issues, health and eating wise. Many have problems with the slightest amounts of some things it's a shame.
I expect to have more to complain about soon. I checked out The Dorito Effect from the library. It's about "natural flavors" and Big Food making processed/packaged food addictive.

I stopped eating anything that contains "natural flavors" and I don't have problems with appetite or cravings anymore. I think I stumbled onto something there.

It's more motivation to grow more of my food. This is part of what has pushed me to try growing grain next year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh... and feeding the chickens gluten was ok...both eggs and meat.

Isn't that odd??????

cow stomachs different than goat stomachs and same with chickens...

as a very reactive kid i ended up having shots once a week for most of my childhood to get me to where i can eat about anything. i just have to watch out for uncooked peaches (or similar fruits) and often apple skins can bother me so those are good cooked too. raw apple cider i might as well be asking for a wire brush to the intestines... yeehaw!...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are there regular people left? Over age 35? In USA?

IDK if I'm biased by my friend group and the books I read, but seems like everyone has GI or allergy issues originating from processed food.

i was born reactive to almost every food and that was long enough ago there wasn't as much stuff in the food compared to what is going on today. luckily the allergy shots i got once a week for many years calmed down my reactions to most things and also gladly i don't have bad problems with spices or capsaicin like Mom does. i love spicy foods.

i do not eat a lot of processed foods now, once in a while i get a donut or some pastry that we don't make here, but in recent months everything i've tried has been not very good so why waste the calories when i can make better? it was just nice to find things that i liked that we didn't make. now i'm limited to some ice-creams and donuts that are ok. just not what i want so i hardly buy them any more. sometime this winter i may have to figure out how to make cream curls.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom developed allergies as an adult. She had shots to help when I was in my early teens. The doctor thinks she may be celiac but at the time he was doing that diagnosis, she hadn't eaten wheat in over 6 months. Her severe reaction on a new allergy test had him decide that it didn't even matter. She's allergic to wheat. Harvest time is horrible for her even though there are no fields closer than a mile. She carries an epipen now in case they have to eat out and someone is being a jerk and gives her wheat.

Both my brothers have allergy issues with certain things. I lucked out. I only have an intolerance for certain foods. Like raw onions. That's inherited as many of my family have the same issue. Grandma always complained about it. Cooking changes them. Just can't digest them well raw and must eat a little every now and then for tolerance or will be super sick if accidentally get some. Raw peppers and celery will get me some as well. As does cantaloupe. I love cantaloupe so that sucks and I can't cook that.

We do try to be aware of what's in our food. The amount of stuff in chicken at the store is horrendous. I need to breed more silkies this coming year so there will be lots of little meals from all the extra boys.