Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of DDs cats used to climb up and lay in the branches of theirs. Never messed with stuff...just relaxed there.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
so its dec 17. Because of the craziness this year, I did not use much vacation.....so.....I work just 2 days the rest of this month. Going back to work in January is going to be a mental reset, for sure. Lol

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so its dec 17. Because of the craziness this year, I did not use much vacation.....so.....I work just 2 days the rest of this month. Going back to work in January is going to be a mental reset, for sure. Lol

take your emotional support kitty and the christmas tree... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One of DDs cats used to climb up and lay in the branches of theirs. Never messed with stuff...just relaxed there.

we had an aluminum and tinsel silver tree with the rotating colored lights that were supposed to go under it but those never worked. you weren't supposed to put lights on those kind of trees either, but we did. i'd crawl under there at night with a flashlight and shine it around on the glass decorations and watch the sparkles on the walls and ceiling. i don't think i ever broke anything under there that i can remember but perhaps that is selective memory. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So, this will be the 5th Christmas without my mom. Thinking of her got me wanting a taste of fruitcake, she loved holiday fruitcake. Found it on the way out of the grocery, went back in to get it, on my way out to the car was able to prevent a little old lady from driving straight into a parking lot traffic sign. Thanks, mom

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Speaking of fruitcake - family lore...my paternal grandmother and her MIL (grandpa's mom) figured out there was good money in holiday fruitcakes to be made. Both were anti drinkers, so the projected money must have been good. They made up 20 or so, alcohol and all, and left them set for the prescribed time. Just prior to selling them, they tasted them and, having never tasted alcohol, thought the fruitcakes "went bad" and fed them to to chickens. My aunt loved telling the story of the drunk rooster staggering around

Supposedly, some small remnant remained that a family friend tasted it and told them it was perfect and they could have gotten top dollar

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My Great Grandmother made eggnog for breakfast on Christmas morning. My Mom remembered drinking eggnog for Christmas breakfast. My Grandmother made eggnog for Christmas. My non drinking parents let us kids drink eggnog and they drank it too. I can remember getting sh!tfaced on eggnog as a little kid. Grandmother couldn't tell me how to make it, had to watch and write it down. Now I make eggnog, but with half the bourbon. Full strength will blow your (or at least mine) head off. LOL.

Mamma Wall's Eggnog
12 eggs, separated
12 heaping tablespoons of sugar
12 shots of bourbon (I use 6)
1 half pint whipping cream
1 cup milk
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Beat whipping cream until stiff.
Beat egg yolks, add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
Continue beating egg yolks, slowly add bourbon 1 shot at a time. Beat egg yolk mixture thouroughly while
adding bourbon. The bourbon cooks the egg yolks-if you just dump the bourbon in you will get curdled eggs.
With a large spoon or spatula, fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture. Then fold in the egg
whites. Stir in the milk.
Serve in cups with nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled on top.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i love fruitcake and pretty much any carbohydrate i've ever tasted. i was considering joining a monastery because that was a large part of what they did (and still do) - i still spent a lot of time with them helping out and in the winter off months we'd cook up and test things.

i finally got some egg nog and enjoyed it. :) no alcohol in it as i don't drink much anyways. the last part of the container i poured over some rocky road ice cream and mashed it up some to make a chunky shake and then put some more nutmeg on top. just what i was hungry for. that may hold me for a few more years.

yo ho ho and merry christmas. :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hope everyone is enjoying their day

FB_IMG_1608918011076.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Big winds and low temps out there today! Dropping all day and supposed to go to low 20s overnight plus wind chill! :eek:. Winter just got ugly!!! Real issue as it was 72 yesterday...what change.

Everyone is fed and has shelter. Hope this doesn't stay long. I'm cooking beef stew. Roast turkey at DD later.....but, the stew will be nice tomorrow.