Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cluckmecoop7

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Everyone, I've never had animals in winter yet so we'll see........................................................................

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning, I'm late for coffee but I brought my own re-heated cup...:rolleyes: It's going to be a beeee-you-teeee-ful day! We're going to get all the way up to the high 50's with tons of sunshine. Yippee!! I've had animals forEVER, but I can count on just a few fingers the times I've had to haul warm water. Yay for that! Gonna try to get outside and take advantage of the sun!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning, I'm late for coffee but I brought my own re-heated cup...:rolleyes: It's going to be a beeee-you-teeee-ful day! We're going to get all the way up to the high 50's with tons of sunshine. Yippee!! I've had animals forEVER, but I can count on just a few fingers the times I've had to haul warm water. Yay for that! Gonna try to get outside and take advantage of the sun!

i'm jelly! (jealous! :) ) that is ok though, i know what it is like down there in the middle of summer. so we know what is coming.

*sips hot chocolate that has green chili in it*

i had to explain to my sister this morning that this green chili paste has shrimp paste in it too. you don't taste it. it's also about 4yrs past the expiration date... i'm trying to finish this container off by the end of this winter. i don't think i need as much next time but for $4 it was a bargain... lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
*sips hot chocolate that has green chili in it*
Interesting flavor combination - especially with the shrimp paste. I've had dark chocolate with red chili flakes in it - so it doesn't sound THAT outlandish, lol. The shrimp paste would be harder to get past...mostly just the thought of it, lol. I'm one of those that uses some things way past expiration date....some things not so much.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting flavor combination - especially with the shrimp paste. I've had dark chocolate with red chili flakes in it - so it doesn't sound THAT outlandish, lol. The shrimp paste would be harder to get past...mostly just the thought of it, lol. I'm one of those that uses some things way past expiration date....some things not so much.

i don't even notice it. if i'd not have read the ingredients list of chili paste i'd never have known or thought about it. it's hot/spicy enough that for a large mug of hot chocolate a quarter of a teaspooon is plenty to give it a little heat. it is one way i get my chili/garlic fix in. :)

cluckmecoop7

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well now I'm sure people like the cafe! So much activity. :celebrate

I put up a new perch in my chicken coop a few days ago because they looked cramped on the old one. (So you see, I left the old in and added a new. Didn't take anything out.) So the first night, they didn't use it...same with the second night. Finally on the third morning they perched on it while waiting to be let out. So tonight, when I counted them, I found one on the new perch roosting there for the night! Yippee! I hope they start using it frequently now. 🐔

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seems birds are VERY conservative; they don't like new things. A bird is the only animal I know of that will starve itself to death rather than try a new food (not always, of course; but I've heard of it happening). That's why it was so hilarious to watch our turkeys when they finally figured out that they could drink water from containers OTHER than the trough in the coopyard. They crowded around and tried the water, appeared to talk excitedly about it, then stormed off to the next plant saucer/mudhole/wading pool/whatever for most of the day... it was like watching a bunch of tourists visiting the wineries in Napa Valley.

... finishes off the last of the mint tea and gathers everything together to go to sleep. Nighty night

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:cafGOOD MORNING, all :caf

Winter -- @Beekissed I like all you say about winter and it's loveliness. Unfortunately, most of the time that doesn't happen here. We rarely get much snow and even more rarely get over 3". Then it melts quickly, becoming dirty and icy. You live where this isn't like that and can enjoy the beauty of it. Being too coastal, the temps differ greatly. And I really hate COLD. Here, snow is just a messy thing. Every 8-10 years we have a "blizzard" here, get about a foot and it is pristine beauty!

Speaking of cold and winter, it's time to get all the prep done. Collect and check the heated tubs, water lines, hoses, etc. I have a couple sheds to add hay racks, cover some coop windows, some clean outs and re-bed to use summer sheds for winter use. That will be my Thanksgiving week of work -- time off. Plus I will have another week to list and get what may be needed beforehand. Another list :th

Refilled my coffee cup while I was up shutting down the alarm. Heavy winds woke me at 4...so I'm wide awake now! In fact, it's getting light nicely and the roos have been crowing for a while. Time to get out there.