Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry @Daisy. Those conversions can be a pain. Even when I was in high school (50 years ago) they were TALKING about our country converting to metric. Every now and then, they talk some more. But... it's not happening, as far as I can figure!

All good, my thermometer has C on one side and F on the other :D

Its 105F here now, high winds and some scattered clouds. Thunderstroms are blowing around. I just went out to give the ducks a spray with the hose, they seem to like that on hot days. I never realise how hot it is out there until I get back in to the cool of the house and realise I was overheating. Time for a nice drink!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You might want to do a google search for home made electrolyte solution. However, if you do give any to your birds, be sure to offer them a choice: electrolyte AND plain water. They will drink the lytes if they need them.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Home made electrolyte solution
5 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon salt
8 ounces water

I make this for dehydration for us and animals. It works. Sip slowly, if you have been throwing up, so you don't puke this too.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For those who don't mind some extra fake flavoring, there are recipes that start with a base of jello or kool-aid for flavoring. My recipe adds sugar, salt and a tiny bit of baking soda. If you want to get the Potassium in there (which is also an essential element) you can use salt substitute. Plenty of recipes abound on the net.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Record level of water in the yard. This is normally dry lawn. It's up past Athena's chest by the weeds.
20200206_155521.jpg

This is the path to the silkie pens. If it quit raining for a day or so it would drain off.
20200206_155620.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW -- So are the Silkie's pens that high with water?
How many inches have you all gotten?

We've had a lot of rain but, not like that -- except ditches are full! About 2" today and more coming. Fortunately my farm is high and has a slight drop to the rear....

Had some crash rains that running off formed waves with the chopped grass/hay out there. But, no water standing in most places. It's running off and you can see that through the little paths the animals have formed.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry @Daisy. Those conversions can be a pain. Even when I was in high school (50 years ago) they were TALKING about our country converting to metric. Every now and then, they talk some more. But... it's not happening, as far as I can figure!

anyone who has any sort of scientific background will be fluid enough to be able to use them.

i have a small program that i wrote which i use if i want to be exact. :)

i think in either measures as a cm is about the width of my pinky fingernail (and my thumbnail is about 2cm). inches are easy as my thumb is about that across, etc.

the temperature conversions are trickier, but pretty much i just remember that anything above 35C is really hot. aka "Above 35 you won't thrive!" is an easy rhyme to recall. :)
(it's 95F in case you wanted to know :) )...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Silkies are dry. Lots of straw and I situated the pens as high as I could. It's the path getting there that's bad

instead of going through the fixed expenses and hassles of a raised bed formal construction you can do what i do for as much of the areas i can, i just dig trenches and use that topsoil to build the raised up areas and then i tamp down the edges with my foot and if i have extra mulch to cover those edges i do, but most of the time i don't have anything extra for that. by the end of the season the edges might be a bit washed out and the piles may have settled but they've done enough of what i need them to do (get the area above the flash flood levels that we might get).

that ways without having any fixed structures in place i can redo the area as i want for the next year if i want, and if i don't i just dig out whatever has fallen in and do it again. not that much work, very cheap, very easy, etc. and if i want to sneak some peas or beans along an edge that is sloped they often will do ok too. extra growing space. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Flakes of hay or straw make great edging for "frameless" raised beds. When I make mounded beds, usually line the path, and up the sides of the mounds with newspaper or cardboard, then lay flakes of hay over that. I then plant lettuce on the sides of the mound.