Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Alaskan I love your description of rotten snow. You are the only one I've heard use that phrase, and it is so appropriately descriptive. When I am traversing a snowy area, I try to do so in the cool of the morning, and stick to shady areas!!! So easy to throw out my back when I fall through "rotten snow"!!!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Alaskan I love your description of rotten snow. You are the only one I've heard use that phrase, and it is so appropriately descriptive. When I am traversing a snowy area, I try to do so in the cool of the morning, and stick to shady areas!!! So easy to throw out my back when I fall through "rotten snow"!!!
So true! And highly deceptive too!

Walking along the path... and suddenly, bam, you sink through!

I switched to my knee high boots today to protect from sinking... but then I slipped about a bit...

I had misjudged... today it was icy, not rotten.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got my bee's today. 60f this morning with mid 70's later. Not all that warm but very humid and muggy. Good flying weather for the little girls.
KIMG0006.JPGKIMG0016.JPG

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is this your first "herd" of bees? More info, please!!!
Yes why yes it is. I've been researching for 5 years and swarm trapping TO NO AVAIL for 3-4 years. I finally had to buy some. So far one is really nice the other I'm not sure I want to keep messing with without any protective equipment.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rainy here, need to butcher 12 Cornish Cross chickens. Frustrating because they are BIG and need to go to freezer camp. It’s just drizzling enough to make sense to not be outside getting wet. I also need that chicken tractor to transfer CCX out of the brooder tubs on the porch.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between broilers raised in the traditional way, where they are crowded and wallowing in their own poop, vs. raised with freedom, access to fresh grass/ground, and not crowded. Also, fermented feed makes a huge difference in the amount of mess they create. Broilers on FF and encouraged to hustle some of their grub have normal chicken poo that is not stinky.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My one friend has special made tractors for them and restricts feed. They do well for her, but just not my thing. Some others traditionally feed them.

I'd rather just eat the extra silkie and easter egger cockerels. We don't eat a lot of chicken here and I don't like breast. Lots of people freak out about the black meat on the silkies so I have my own quirks.