SS reported as an Attack Site?

Haywood

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried to post this once but am having trouble.

When I logged into SS this morning I got a popup from Google that listed SS as an attack site. Has anyone else gotten something similar? This is the first time it has happened to me here.

Google provided this information:

What is the current listing status for sufficientself.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 7 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 5 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-09-14, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-09-14.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including cnjug.com/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including reviewum.net/.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alot of us are getting that this morning. Try another browser - IE is fine.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Posted by Nifty on BYC...

"Many of you noticed the problems we ran into today.

Short Version: The problem has been found and removed and now we're just waiting for the browsers / search engines to verify the fixes and remove us from their blacklists.

Longer Version:
Today I was gone all day helping my brother with some construction and cleanup. Well, of course things blow up once I'm away from the computer and won't be back on for hours.

Members started having some weird things happen and then started getting warning about BYC contanining "Malware". Thankfully a few members of the BYC Staff were able to contact me and we were able to work as a team to start the process of getting things fixed (especially thanks to Stacey for calling and Terrie for putting the forums in maintanance mode).

Basically our ad serving software was hacked, causing malware filters all over the InterWebs to go off. After we determined the attack was real we put the forums in maintanance mode until we could figure out what happened.

After a bunch of hours trouble shooting, restoring pre-hacked software backups, and removing all the ad codes from the sites we can now semi-confidently say our site is free from malware and once again open to our community of chicken enthusiasts.

Unfortuantley BYC (and the sister sites) are blacklisted by Google and so users on Chrome, Firefox, and other browsers may not be able to access BYC without getting a crazy page warning of DANGER! I've sent an appeal to the Google gods and have requested that they review the sites and remove their curse.

We're still unsure of what, if anything this malware attempt may have caused. We definitely encourage all our members to keep their antivirus software updated and run a scan of their system to ensure there aren't any problems. If we find more details we'll let you know.

I'm personally very sorry that this happened and apologize to all those who couldn't get their BYC fixes! It is wonderful being involved in such a large and vibrant community! Unfortunetly this also has the side effect of painting a target on our backs to people that are jealous that they can't have chickens. wink

If you have any questions, please let us know and we'll do the best we can to answer them."

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm familiar with black lists and it takes a letter and proof of fix to get a search engine to again allow you back onto their site.

I'm sure they all scrambled for hours to get it all fixed. Good job!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried to get on here late last night around midnight (Pacific time) or so & couldn't. It came up with having to shut down SS forum for maintainance. So I then tried TEG & BYC, & they came up with something similar to what you mentioned. :hu (Glad they're back up now :) )

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I got the Malware message late yesterday and up until just a few minutes ago. I was afraid to click on the this site is ok tab in case that was a virus link. I am glad the problem has been fixed! Great job Nifty and staff!

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It showed up on me this morning glad to see it was fixed i missed u guys this morning:celebrate

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I came across it late last night. So I performed a malware scan on my computer just to be on the safe side. It found nothing.
I learned more about the problem on FB, since some folks posted about it there.

Sure glad it is ok now.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I got a Trojan last night and I'm sure it was visiting BYC during the problems. I have not been able to remove it despite a feeble attempt by McAfee support. Might have to take my computer to the doctor.