SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks DD & Snapshot - I honestly am fine. Hubs will be happy too, only a bit of purple left around my eye, mostly just that sickly yellow color it turns before it is finished healing! Yay, I get to be seen in public with my man :lol:

Rathbone, I spent this morning doing internet recon on my planting options and found a big :he No wonder I struggle with some things growing well! I have always followed my Dad's method of planting: Throw it all in the ground on Memorial Day and harvest what ya get after Labor Day. Hmmm...research is showing me that Dad was, how should I put this?, not so good when it came to gardening. Just very, very lucky :p On the upside, I can start turning ground and planting a few things by the end of next month :woot

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My difficulty has been that I now live in a completely different climate. A foreign climate, completely opposite of what I knew before. That and the fact that I continue to try to plant what I was familiar with "back home", in the manner that I did everything "back home" in spite of the fact that I have lived here FOREVER. Apparently I am a slow learner.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SS I alsmost faceplanted on the concrete one day because of the exact same thing with a pair of boots!!! I got rid of them. If DH hadn't caught me I would have been eating the front porch. I hate boots like that! I am so glad you're okay! Sheesh!! :hugs

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
My difficulty has been that I now live in a completely different climate. A foreign climate, completely opposite of what I knew before. That and the fact that I continue to try to plant what I was familiar with "back home", in the manner that I did everything "back home" in spite of the fact that I have lived here FOREVER. Apparently I am a slow learner.
I used to think of myself as the epitome of 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. In recent years, I've decided I will try ANYTHING once. OK, not anything. Sky diving and bungee jumping are definitely out, but I've realized my 'set in' ways aren't always working for me. I have learned so much, improved so much in things I thought I already 'knew' and have built up my confidence so much more by just giving stuff a try!

Having said all that, when I lived in South TX, eons ago, I insisted on planting the SAME stuff I do here, at the SAME TIME OF YEAR! What a massive waste of plant material that was! :p

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
SS I alsmost faceplanted on the concrete one day because of the exact same thing with a pair of boots!!! I got rid of them. If DH hadn't caught me I would have been eating the front porch. I hate boots like that! I am so glad you're okay! Sheesh!! :hugs
Aww, thanks. Mine was on nice soft grass. Nice, frozen, middle of winter in MI ground covered by soft, skimpy dead grass, apparently hiding little eye daggers! :lol:

I haven't tossed the boots, yet. I've been glaring at them. Giving them the evil eye. But they know. They are so nice and warm, I'll toss the evil laces before I throw them out. Rotten, toasty warm boots :smack

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hacksaw the killer eyelets off the side of them boots!! :old Ya know...get EVEN :gig

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Thanks Dragonlaurel,

Fine as frogs hair, as they say in TX! It was actually pretty funny over all. DH says I better either become a make up artist or my eye better look normal before he gets home, or he ain't going nowhere with me! :lol:

Actually, I like canning Velveeta better than canning cheddar. The process is the same (you cube it up and melt it down inside jars that are simmering in a shallow pot of water - it melts fairly quick), but processing is a lot faster. Fifteen minutes in a waterbath canner (for half pints) and viola, canned Velveeta! :D
Thanks for the canning tips. I don't have a canner pot right now, but one will turn up.

Don't throw away his boots over the accident. Just tell them that you need a good pair that fit you right, and are easy to put on- so you wont be tempted to wear his. Sell the safety angle, and I bet you'll get what you need.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Especially if he wants to be seen w/you in public!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
While I would LOVE to give my son a hard time (hey, it's what I live for, according to him :p ),but I stole them. He got a new pair, because his feet just keep on growing (age 12/size twelve now - at this rate he'll need special order shoes by age 18!) and, since I didn't want MY snow boots covered in barnyard-matter, I stole his old ones. Hubby did say it was time to look for muck boots for me (after saying "Stupid happens, I mean, accidents happen" Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol: ), but for now I've switched to my stolen (from the same source) pair of tennis shoes. What can I say? The kid burns through shoes, and I hate to toss them out! Although, now that he's a size 12, and I'm a size 9, the only thing I'll be using those cast offs for are ski's! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Goodness, by 18 he could have some fun making Bigfoot tracks in the woods and watching the local go crazy!

I hope you get some new muck boots!!