SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, the good news is, I've found a sure-fire exercise program! Ferdinand got out, of all days DH was gone to the Really Big city so it was up to me to 'convince' him to cooperate. He was nice enough to let me rope him. And that was about it! Next thing I know, my idiocy (I put my hand through the loop at the end - to get a better grip :rolleyes: ) has me being dragged all over creation! Ferdinand is now a year old, with raging hormones and a LOT of muscle for his little frame. He drug me into Ice Cream's pasture (through the barn, through the divider fence that separates the two of them - I mean he PLOWED through the fence! ). I managed to disconnect myself from him just as he made the decision to plow back through the fence to HIS pasture. I was using choice words to describe his sorry backside by this time, and he decided to hide behind a tree - wish I'd had a camera! Here he is, peeking out at me from one side of the tree, thinking he's well hid, while the bulk of him is sticking out the other side of the tree! :lol: A bit of wrangling got him IN the barn with Ice Cream, and that was good enough for me. I locked them in together and left it for DH to sort out when he got home :lol: Running/being dragged over frozen ground covered in several inches of snow, while wearing clunky snowmobile boots will flat wear you out if you're a fat old lady like me! :th

Today I made a roast DH got on sale - in a dutch oven on top of the wood stove!! I had a wood stove growing up, and my Dad swears we cooked on it, but I don't remember it. So this was a 'new' experience for me. The guys wolfed it down! :ya DH even asked if I would make a pork roast the same way this Sunday, if he dug it out of the freezer :D I admit, it was the moistest roast I've ever made.

The kitchen is over halfway done :weee I can't believe how great it's looking, considering it's all piece-meal. We are using a bunch of stuff we got free, stuff we've had and 'planned to use somewhere' for over a decade and some clearance things from several different stores :p I can't wait to be able to post pictures so everybody can see the difference!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a drug problem. Maybe we need to get you some help for that. :hide

How did you cook your pot roast? I've been wanting to do that, but so far, haven't. I have a dutch oven I got for that purpose but haven't tried it yet.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I can just see you being pulled all over by a one year old bull! I have seen dh trying to convince a yearling to go into a chute. He didn't want to go! LOL Photos of the kitchen please!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
snapshot said:
I can just see you being pulled all over by a one year old bull! I have seen dh trying to convince a yearling to go into a chute. He didn't want to go! LOL Photos of the kitchen please!
The truly embarrassing part is that he isn't even 3 foot tall yet - so here's this little guy dragging me all over the place! I don't feel too bad though - DH let them out, then I heard him say "Uh oh" and run outside. Sure enough, Ferdinand was out! So I got to stand at the window, in the nice warm house, and watch the bull drag DH all over! :lol: He cheated though - we keep a halter on him now, so DH didn't have to rope him first! Still, I kept thinking that, if I'd been smart and grabbed my video camera, those two could've made me 100 grand richer :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Sounds like you have a drug problem. Maybe we need to get you some help for that. :hide

How did you cook your pot roast? I've been wanting to do that, but so far, haven't. I have a dutch oven I got for that purpose but haven't tried it yet.
:lol: Better fencing will take care of that drug problem ;)

I got a recipe - keep in mind we LOVE Mexican food here - off a site for Mexican pot roast. I bet you it could be adapted though. The first thing I did was drag it through some flour and sear it in some hot oil. Then I added everything to the dutch oven, and put in the disk thing with holes in it that prevents burning (don't know what its called :p ), set the meat back in, lidded it up and set it on the stove. It started boiling hard, so I grabbed the big cast iron grate from my kitchen stove and set it on top of that. Then it barely simmered :rolleyes: Finally DH suggested I use the grate, but flip it over so it was flat to the stove and set the oven on it. Worked great! Steady boil, but not hard. I left it on for 3 hours. It was a chore pulling the meat out, because it was falling apart, but delicious! I used dehydrated carrots too, and they were perfectly done when it was finished - not mushy. The recipe I used had a tomato base to it, I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the tenderness :hu

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Can't wait for pics!!!
I can't wait either! :lol: We installed the 'up lighting' last night! :ya I love it, and it only cost $3 per wall!! Can't wait until all the dust finally settles so I can put stuff up there and look all fancy! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Will you still hang out with us little folks when you get all fancied up? :lol: You better!!!! :p

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Will you still hang out with us little folks when you get all fancied up? :lol: You better!!!! :p
I stepped back and looked at it last night, looked over at DH and said we're gonna have to move - this place is looking too fancy pants for the likes of us! :lol: