DH says no way :hit He's just determined to see me unhappy! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Wannabefree said:
Well the house next door is coming up for sale soon :lol:
DH says no way :hit He's just determined to see me unhappy! :lol:
Divorce him!! :p :lol: and then get yer bum down here beside me so we can see what the force of two Cindi's would be MWAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I almost would feel sorry for the rest of society :p

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I forgot that I went on a little adventure last week, with DS, and found my perfect store! MIL has been raving about the newest Amish store, two towns over (and directly behind my brothers shop - so I can visit with him AND go shop!). Usually, if MIL raves about it, I tend to avoid it - she doesn't have my same mindset about things. I came home from this store and warned the hubster that I'd be saving up to go back, frequently!! :lol: Most Amish stores around here have bulk spices, and some bulk grains, but this one is WAY cooler than that!
First, I will describe the interior, because it was so awesome. It looked like your everyday grocery store, in a slightly miniature version. Every aisle had signs hanging above them listing the type of items in that aisle and, as we walked through, DS asked why the lights were so loud. Each aisle was lit by gas lights! I bought several bulk spices that I haven't grown yet, checked the prices of their 50# bags of wheat and flour (Ouch! They usually are higher, but it's painful! I pay $13.50 for hard white wheat - 25#, so X2 + $27. They charge $47. My bread flour is $16.50 for #25, they charge $37.50 for 25#. Don't even ask about 25# of sugar :th ) As I went through, I saw that they carry the individual dried ingredients for herbal medicines, along with books on the same. There was a nice little section for soap making/lotion making. I fell in love with a noodle making rolling pin they had for $15, the lady there said the pins are hand made on lathes by local men. I want one! Plus a regular pin for $20 that is made from one piece of wood, so it won't get loose and sloppy like my store bought ones do! I also found a heavy duty clothes drying rack that would work perfectly next to my wood stove and be able to hold up to all the jeans I dry! Along with some awesomely huge stainless steel bowls, I found a stainless steel ladle that was HUGE, for $15! My favorite ladle right now isn't even half that size, and cost me $12 plus shipping!
They have a bakery and a homemade cheese section too! DS and I bought samples of several different kinds of cookies. Our favorite, by far, are the monster cookies. I'll be hunting for a recipe for those! I also bout small chunks of cheese to test out. We like the habenaro cheese, but weren't very impressed by the bacon cheese. I figured it would be cheaper to test it this way, rather than make a big batch once Ice Cream starts producing, and finding out then that we aren't crazy about it.
They had an interesting selection of specialty oils too. I am in the experimental stages of several different things (to be posted at another time with my results ;) ) and saw they carried coconut oil, organic extra virgin, in 1 gallon buckets! I have found the exact same brand on line for $59.99 plus shipping on sale (regular price $87 plus shipping). The Amish store had it for $77. I haven't bought it from anywhere yet, because it's WAY out of my price range right now, but I was pleased to know I could get it there for less than the 'regular price' online.
The only negative I've found - and it occurs with ALL the Amish stores in this area - is the subtle dislike of us 'English' that they have. I admit that it isn't as bad as the cashiers at our local stores, the majority of whom act like you've inconvenienced them by wanting your purchases rung up, but I notice...I'll call it 'tolerance for us' - usually in their voices. I asked at this store if their bulk 'Angel Cream' was the same as Bakewells cream (a product I LOVE, but can only purchase online, for a pretty penny). At first they had no idea what Bakewells Cream was, so I explained. When they heard 'internet' they physically bristled, and brushed me off! Best I could gather, the Angel Cream is just a cheap version of cream of tartar, something I have plenty of. I received the same sort of 'standoffishness' when I asked if anyone at the other Amish store could recommend a tread machine repairman. :hu Maybe it's just me. I do look like an alien to most people :p

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the amish stores here are very nice to people in general. and they are VERY nice to you if you ask about something non-electric, kinda like you are similar to them. and there are a few that will talk you to death when they find out you bake your own bread and noodles. some of the very old order amish are a little more wery of giving out info.

we have had a few ask us how the internet works and what we can find. they were very suprised when i typed in amish on my smart phone and showed them what all came up.
(does that count as corupting the amish?):hide

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
the amish stores here are very nice to people in general. and they are VERY nice to you if you ask about something non-electric, kinda like you are similar to them. and there are a few that will talk you to death when they find out you bake your own bread and noodles. some of the very old order amish are a little more wery of giving out info.

we have had a few ask us how the internet works and what we can find. they were very suprised when i typed in amish on my smart phone and showed them what all came up.
(does that count as corupting the amish?):hide
Nope, you'd be surprised at what all some of them do. I know someone that lives in Lancaster County, PA and knows several of the Amish in her area. She's told me that they have their ways around their rules and regulations. You'll even have those w/internet, cell phones, etc.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The Amish around here are very sweet folks. I love them! Their kids come running when I pull in :) I have never met one that fits that description, and yeah, that would very definately be a turn off. Our Amish friends have us come in and sit down in their livingroom to chit chat if they have things they want to ask us/talk to us about. Really cool and down to earth folks. Anyway that store sounds AMAZING, and I might even overlook their snobbery to shop there too if I could :lol:

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i know 1 amish family in the area that uses a generater for their home. they had a premie baby and have to have the power for her machines. most of the buiness ones have generaters to operate machinery. the sawmills, harness maker, and furniture and cabenet maker all have gennies. and they have a couple "phone sheds" for when they need to make calls.