Stargazers...

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the things that doc_gonzo and I love most about our new home is that we no longer have a dozen security lights from the neighbors intruding our night-sight so we can actually see the stars out here. It has been priceless, to us. We came home late last night from my mom's and could actually see the Milky Way! :cool:

Today, we built a small deck off of our new storage shed, had a late dinner and spent even later time checking out/looking for the latest meteor shower...saw atleast 4 definates and several possibles.

Most were seen from east to west with the other from the south just straight down toward the earth. Definately check it out! :cool:

We have a cheap telescope and set it up when we remember to but some of our most favorite times are the major meteor showers.

Right now, we are getting close to peaking (JUly 28 and 29) on the Southern Delta Aquirids:

http://meteorshowersonline.com/showers/delta_aquarids.html

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have too many trees near my house to really watch for meteor showers. :( And, I hate how light the sky is in places because of the towns.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our trees got in the way, too!

We're far enough between the two towns we live between but the trees, the trees! :lol:

We didn't have the tres back in TN so we just deal with them!

Our ideal spottin' spot is 25 minutes south of us, that was recently logged...it's on another hill and totally clear cut, but too far to drive from the safety of our place.

The last one that Skip saw was really bright and with a long trial, so don't dismiss where you're at. ;)

Look to the south! :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:thumbsup

We're lucky with some wide open space around us. We'll lay on the picnic table or set the hammock up to watch the meteor showers. We even had DS's Cub Scout den camp out here one night to watch them.

The neighbors are cool, too. We'll ask them to turn of the barn lights so it gets even darker. :D

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love star-gazing too Dawn. We live in town though, so it can be difficult. Thanks for the link though, maybe we'll have to go out to the inlaws Friday night (they live out in the country) to see the show.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We love the meteor showers also and have spent many nights watching them since moving here. The Geminids in December have been one of our favorites. If the skies permit, we usually make a big pot of hot chocolate, and spend the night out on the hill wrapped in blankets to keep warm. BTW, one of this years best showers, the Perseids, is coming up August 12th.

When we moved up here we had a Celestron Super C8 telescope, but ended up selling it after the kids were grown. We have since regretted it and have been thinking about buying another.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, one of my FAVORITE things about living as far out as we are is the huge number of stars we can see! It's amazing how many more stars actually show up without all the extra light. We had a security light, too, when we moved in, but had the power company come out and turn it off. I told DH that if someone made it out this far to rob us, I don't think a light would deter them! :lol:

S

sunsaver

My little subdivide is far from the main city. I should be able to see them tonight. Thanks for turning me on to this. I had no idea that there was a shower event at this time of year. So, should i be looking south, straight up, northeast, or what?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
My little subdivide is far from the main city. I should be able to see them tonight. Thanks for turning me on to this. I had no idea that there was a shower event at this time of year. So, should i be looking south, straight up, northeast, or what?
The constellation Aquarius, for which the shower is named, rises in the east southeast, I believe around 10pm central time. For best viewing, lay on a blanket or a reclining lawn chair, lie back or position yourself so the horizon appears at the edge of your peripheral vision, with the stars and sky filling your field of view. Otherwise, just pull up a chair and lean back. Remember that it generally takes about 20 minutes for your night vision to maximize.

My only caveat is that when starting on a minor shower, like the Southern delta Aquarids, it's easy to get discouraged since the expected number of meteors is about 20 per hour. The Perseids, which peaks on August 12, has an expected peak of about 5 times that. The good thing about this shower is that I believe the moon is cooperating and not filling the night sky with unwanted light.

The neat thing is that most any meteor shower can provide some unexpected bursts of meteors. In 2008 the minor shower called the September Perseids produced a large display, including fireballs.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Good advice, Mark!

Also, for anyone wearing bi-focals, if you have an older, non-bi-focal eyeglasses, it helps to wear them instead. The display is so random and quick, you don't have time to adjust your eye/head angle. Just my experience.

I love the Perseids, too.