Stargazers...

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We have a lot of trees too but I always try to see what I can see from our deck. DH thinks I'm nuts :rolleyes: I take the progressive glasses off and hope for the best!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Every time I try to view the meteor showers, it's cloudy out. :(

Don't know how well you'll be able to see the Pereseids this year. The full moon is on the 13th. :/

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DD,

It's usually cloudy here too, when the meteor showers get geared up good. And of course it was cloudy both the 28th and 29th on this last one when it was peaking! :barnie

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Draconid meteor shower tonight. Don't know that I'll see anything since the "peak" was so early in the afternoon (according to the article) but have a small fire in the pit and will watch the sky anyways! :fl

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Jupiter is showing very spectacularly this week, particularly with the clear skies lately. I will get the telescope out tomorrow night - the last time viewing was this good, I saw 3 of Jupiter's moons!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerJamie,

Our trees were in the way this time around to see Jupiter, well, atleast when I was outside at the fire pit. :(

On October 21st and 22nd we'll be having the Orionids...prime time just before dawn!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm normally up then, so maybe I can step outside and see if I see anything.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This Week: Two Meteor Showers

This Sunday night, July 29, will bring not just one, but two meteor showers.

Both the Delta Aquarids and the Alpha Capricornids reach their traditional peak at the end of July.

The Delta Aquarid meteor shower is a southern shower that is visible from about July 14 until August 18 each year, with maximum activity on the evening of July 29.
At that time, viewers can observe 15-20 meteors per hour. The radiant or apparent source of this shower is in the constellation Aquarius, near the star Delta Aquarii. Look low in the eastern sky.

The Alpha Capricornids take place from July 15 until August 10, also peaking on the 29th. Meteors appear to originate from the constellation Capricorn, also low in the eastern sky (Capricorn lies right next to Aquarius). Output for this shower generally averages about 10 per hour.

Unfortunately, 2012 is expected to be an unfavorable year for both of these showers due to a bright waxing gibbous Moon that night. The light from the Moon means the sky wont be very dark, making it difficult to spot the fireballs. The Moon sets around midnight, though, making the pre-dawn hours an excellent time to enjoy these two showers. If you dont manage to make it out on Sunday night, you can still see plenty activity in day days before and after peak. Even with less-than-ideal conditions, these two showers generally combine to put on one heck of a good show.