Starting seeds is going to be the death of me.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well I planted 7 jiffy pods with melons and only one took the rest molded so I tried again and now only two took and the rest molded. I have peppers in another tray of pods and so far one of the seeds has started to open but the plant molded :barnie . I really dont have the funds to buy potting soil and I have a bunch more seeds to start but I fear I'm going to waste them. Any thoughts?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
Well I planted 7 jiffy pods with melons and only one took the rest molded so I tried again and now only two took and the rest molded. I have peppers in another tray of pods and so far one of the seeds has started to open but the plant molded :barnie . I really dont have the funds to buy potting soil and I have a bunch more seeds to start but I fear I'm going to waste them. Any thoughts?
ahh bummer.

I usually wait until early summer when I can buy started plants, a couple melons and some peppers wouldn't be much. I would say don't spend any more money on seeds, jsut save until sumemr and by some started plants.

by the way, the duck was really good :D

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well I would just buy started plants but I,m planting such a variety it would cost a fortune.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
Well I would just buy started plants but I,m planting such a variety it would cost a fortune.
What are you planning on buying?
Are you planning on selling? I think A few pepper plants, a few melon plants, maybe some cucumbers wouldn't cost much, and it would feed your family.

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Onions
Radishes
Carrots
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Squash
Zuchini
Beans
Watermelons
Tomatos
Peppers
Peas
Enough of all for me my family and extended family.
:cool:

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
Onions
Radishes
Carrots
Lettuce
Cauliflower
Squash
Zuchini
Beans
Watermelons
Tomatos
Peppers
Peas
Enough of all for me my family and extended family.
:cool:
we have extra Pea and Bean seed packs.
I think I am going to fulfill my life long dream :p
Pepper garden.
My grandma actually gets a bunch of onions nad always has extras (if she does a garden this year)
I will check to see what I have.
I will most likely just have peppers and a couple of tomatoes.

have you eaten any of the birds yet?

hobobrando

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No the birds are in the freezer right now. If harvest go's well I will have well over a hundred onions, peppers, and tomatos.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
No the birds are in the freezer right now. If harvest go's well I will have well over a hundred onions, peppers, and tomatos.
:woot

I am going for about 50 pepper plants this year, maybe more. I had about thirty last year, and I got to make a couple batches of hot sauce and a thick sauce good on grouse wrapped in bacon.
I'm doing raised beds.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Brandon we have
Peas
Yellow beans
Green beans

Let me know if you want them!
I wil ltalk to you tomorrow.

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I started all my plants (too) early and have been running into some mold problems. A few things I've noticed:
More humidity = More mold.: Using the Jiffy Peat Moss pellets, I recommend opening the plastic cover a little bit as soon as you start seeing sprouts, and then taking the cover off completely once their up. Reducing the humidity seems to help a lot with getting the mold down.
Starting indoors vs. starting outdoors: Out of the plants on your list I've tried: Squash, Watermelons, Tomatoes, Peppers, Peas. After my failed attempts with the squash and watermelons, I've decided to sow them directly into the ground. They grow too fast and too long and get too moldy trying to grow them indoors. My peas are doing great, which is a problem in and off themselves. They are turning into a tangled jungle because I don't have a trellis system for them. I'm going to move them to my garden when I can, and also sow some into the ground. Right now I'm thinking they will be a direct sow in the future, but I want to be sure after testing them. I have had success with the tomatoes and peppers, using the Jiffy pellets; just make sure they have enough air.