Starting seeds is going to be the death of me.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last year was my first year experimenting by growing from seed. It can be very frustrating at first, and I completely understand why people buy starter plants. I lost count of the numerous seedlings that died last year, but I kept practicing through the entire summer and reading information on the internet. I eventually started catching on and had some nice looking tomato plants before the growing season was over. This year, I am doing better, except for cabbage. In fact, I have so many tomato plants (several varieties) and jalapeno pepper plants that I do not know what to do with them all. I am going to give some of them away. One thing that I did different this year: used a cold frame, instead of fluorescent lights.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I tend to start seeds way way too early to go outside in a timely fashion up here. I end up with way too many of everything taking over my sunroom long before anything can safely go out. I am really trying to hold off this year. I look at my seed packets daily, though.

I am NOT putting in hot peppers this year. Last year we put in the variety pack and, even though I like hot peppers, we were over run. Plus I have discovered that I like jalapeno and cherry peppers, but I do NOT like the really really hot ones. And I can't tell the difference reliably:ep OK, maybe I'll put in *A* jalapeno plant.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hobobrando said:
Well I planted 7 jiffy pods with melons and only one took the rest molded so I tried again and now only two took and the rest molded. I have peppers in another tray of pods and so far one of the seeds has started to open but the plant molded :barnie . I really dont have the funds to buy potting soil and I have a bunch more seeds to start but I fear I'm going to waste them. Any thoughts?
For me it's been trial and error over the years. Last year I had better success with the peat pellets I used so this year I went will a mix of peat pellets and coir pellets which are pellets made from coconut fiber - I was testing out the coir ones - to grow my perennial/annuals and veggies.

One question, was it potting or seed starting soil you used? I have found the potting soil is to heavy and smothers most seeds. Also it doesn't have the nutrients required to help seeds grow and keep mold away. You can buy a product called Damp Off and that helps to deal with the mold issue, not sure if you can use it with seeds as I've only used it when transplanting seedlings.

I don't know if you can get it in your area but here the local dump takes all our brush, leaves, grassclippings, etc. and turns it into compost and every year they sell it for $20/tonne or $10 per pick up truck load. When I show up with my rubbermaid container or recycle bin with a garbage bag in it to get some, they just give it to me. It is really good stuff so I use it as my soil base and mix some perilite into it to keep it light and use it for all my indoor plants (and by the truck load for the outside gardens).

mekasmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I started my tomatoes and peppers inside. I am just hoping to keep them alive long enough to put them out into the soil. They just aren't growing well in here.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
What is your light source, mekasmom? Also, how warm is it where you are growing them?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Someone posted about the importance of LUMENS when it comes to indoor light. You need 175w equivalent compact fluorescent lights. They put out about 2000 lumens each. If you get lights you can aim (I have a desk lamp and a clip on lamp) you can point them at the plants and get the light really close without frying them since CFL aren't hot.

I had tried grow lights in the past and they sucked. My plants always got all spindly and died. The ones I have going now (CFL's + Southern Facing Window) look really good. Now, if I can only harden them off without killing them...

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never been very successful starting seedlings inside. They grow much better directly planted in the garden. I was thinking of making a hoop green house to cover rows so I can plant earlier. I planted cool season crops already and the seedlings have survived 3 nights of below freezing temperatures. I just covered them with dry leaves for the night.
I planted mustard greens, collard greens, lettuce, peas, radishes, and beets.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you decide to do this again-throw those jiffy pods out. Start with some seed starter (they sell bags of it at the store) or use coir. For the melons you can use just plain ol' potting soil. The coir is damp when it's used so just a drop or two of water every day or every other day will be sufficient. In the meantime your ambient temp in the room or under the plants should be about 80 degrees if you can manage it. You don't need grow lights, just some simple fluorescent lights will do quite nicely and put them on a timer so the plants can rest at night. You don't need to cover the plants with plastic unless they're going to be in a very dry area or in a cool room.
I wish I could just package up some of my plants and send them to you but I don't trust the mail service to deliver live plants. I've still got almost 400 down in my grow room ready for sale.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always had a problem with the jiffy pots cause they just soak up the water and never let it go. I started (when i was starting LOL) in plastic or the coconut pots.

Though... really... I can't viably start my seeds indoors right now because of the light issue, mine are getting started outside as soon as the weather is good enough. Last year I had an okay time with my cucumbers even though I started them in May they still produced quite a few cucumbers. I've just about given up on starting indoors until I get a light unit.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I started my cucumbers at the same time as my tomatoes....but I'm thinking this was a mistake! :rolleyes: They are enormous....way bigger than my other seedlings, and I'm afraid they will get too big before planting time. Oh, well....live and learn! :p