Starting seeds is going to be the death of me.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I would say never use those stinkin jiffy pots. They themselves either mold, or suck all the moisture out of your growing medium so they mold more! And they don't fall apart in the soil like they say. Did up a grown plant in the fall, and that dumb pot is still there holding a bunch of the roots in. I myself use cheap dixie cups.

Most of the experts I've ever read say don't even bother planting melons, cukes, squash etc inside. They have a fragile taproot, and when you transplant them you are liable to damage it. Plus, they grow so fast, there's no point in growing them inside when you can just plant them in the ground outside. With a good taproot, you're more likely to have a strong healthy plant with more fruit.

Yes, I know they are selling these plants in the farm stores and walmart, but it's just a ploy to get you to spend more money on started plants, when you get a better deal (and more varieties to choose from) when you buy a packet of seeds.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, Mrs. Puff! I'll keep that in mind, empty out these cuke cells and plant something else in their place and plant them at the appropriate time out in the garden! :thumbsup

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yep-- some things you should start in pots are tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, kohlrabi, broccoli, eggplants, herbs or even little onion plants. Some people start okra also. Don't bother starting squash, cukes, melons, beans, peas, potatoes (duh), lettuce, spinach and many other greens. I don't grow a lot of greens, so I'm not sure on that. You should start sweet potato plants if you grow those. I have a little collection of them ready to go when it gets nice and warm.

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use jiffy pots and have had great success. You need to make sure they have enough light and heat. In addition, I make sure to over seed when I start plants indoors. I use 2 too 3 seeds per pot and they all usually come up. You have to realize that some will fail so plan to plant more indoors then you need.