States file to seccede from the union, info from Washington post

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: Yep...that's WV for you. I knew that independent spirit would want to petition for separation. Kinda brings a tear to the eye....sniff! I'm so proud.... :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:lol: Yep...that's WV for you. I knew that independent spirit would want to petition for separation. Kinda brings a tear to the eye....sniff! I'm so proud.... :D
Yep those varmits seperated from Virginia when VA was seperateing from the Union. I hope they form their own country it would be a great place to outsource to.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm certainly no political genius, lol. But, I do wonder what the consdquences of secession actually are so I did a little research. Copied this from a blog today - it refers to Texas:

Submitted by Dennis Wagner on November 12, 2012 - 6:41pm.
Please pay your fair share of the National Debt: ~ $53,378 @ 25,674,681 people=
$1,370,463,122,418
Please close all military and government facilities and remove all equipment and personnel:
Please require Visa's for all trips to the other 49
Please create your own currency
Please cease and desist all further commerce with the other 49 until we have established trade agreements, tariffs etc.
Please remove the: Cowboys, Rangers, Spurs, Mavericks, Stars, Texans etc from all (NFL etc. other leagues, we don't want them foreigners here in America the land of the free!)
Please remove all those Texas colleges form the college leagues etc. as well. we don't want hem foreigners playing here in America the land of the free.
Please immediately foreclose on all Fanny and Freddie backed loans.
Please Close Houston control and remove all equipment.

Seems like there are probably lots of other considerations...

In my opinion - there have been unpopular presidents before and there will be again. I have never been one to run from a problem and if Texas seceded - I'd probably need to move.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
~gd said:
Beekissed said:
Yep those varmits seperated from Virginia when VA was seperateing from the Union. I hope they form their own country it would be a great place to outsource to.
We wouldn't need the jobs. We would have our own power sources from our coal, water, gas and oil. We have enough farm land to grow enough food for the whole state. We have enough craftsmen in this state to make all our own things, enough ways and means to manufacture our own metals and plastics. We have survived very well without too much intervention from you'ins and the only reason anyone comes in to set up a business here is to remove what we have and use our natural resources, not to put anything back into the state.

We'll survive just fine on our own...always have. I say let it go back to the old days and let us rough it from here on out. We were better before there was outside "help", thank you kindly.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I searched all over the 'net to find out how to find a petition to sign. My state is one that supposedly has a petition to secede and I want to sign it. In fact I want to help the cause and get others to sign.

Look at these idiots . . . The Weekly Standard

I say HA Ha Ha - come and get me.

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I searched all over the 'net to find out how to find a petition to sign. My state is one that supposedly has a petition to secede and I want to sign it. In fact I want to help the cause and get others to sign.

Look at these idiots . . . The Weekly Standard

I say HA Ha Ha - come and get me.
Goto this website an scroll throught until you find the petitionfor your state.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I didn't get to elaborate on this earlier but....

I don't know if it just my teenage rebellion in me but I think that secession should be an option for states. They united on free will, and should be able to withdrawl the same way. I think that is more logical than the Fed saying no you can't. It is supposed to be a union of sovereign states.

BUT the consequences would be extraordinary even without the rebellion attempting to be supressed. The impacts like listed below from that blog. They could, in theory be worked around and eventually would be fixed. I don't think a petition is the right way to do it, it should be voted on by state legislature and signed by the governor. Then voted on in a special election.

In comparison with the American Civil War, the main issues were Slavery and States Rights. Now its immigration, economic policy, foreign policy, abortion, drugs, education, energy, gay marriage, and the list goes on. All with extreme stances from Democrats and Republicans. This nation has become increasing polar over the last couple of election cycles.

In 2000, Vice-President Gore won the popular vote but President Bush won the electoral vote. President Bush won. In 2004 Senator Kerry was 30 electoral votes from the presidency. In 2008, it really wasn't close. But just last week the popular vote was close to being tied between Governor Romney and President Obama. This country is on opposite ends on all issues, not just one or two. No one can agree.

This leads me to believe that it is possible that America could truly be separated in the next two decades over it. I personally think it would be for the better after you get money flowing, jobs sectionalized (industry in cityscape, agriculture in the rural lands), and trade started. Then a military.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I signed the on-line petition. I didn't realize it was on-line only. Duh!
OK Federal government, come and get me. I seriously doubt the government is capable.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know that the states really want to secede. I think it's more frustration w/how things are going and people are trying to take this way to get the government to listen. But, I doubt it will work.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I don't know that the states really want to secede. I think it's more frustration w/how things are going and people are trying to take this way to get the government to listen. But, I doubt it will work.
I don't think they do right now. But I think maybe it is possible within the next 30 years....