Staying home now...what ways can I save money over working?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Something like 20 layers averaging 5-6lbs free all she's gotta do is pick them up when its time. How can you say no to that?!
wow this is GREAT!

hey Jared77! good to see you over here

:)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I often pick up 'spent' hens that I find on kijiji. i use them to make dog food. all I'm saying is--be aware that not everyone raises or cares for chickens the way you think they should. i have picked up birds whose feathers have all been plucked out, b/c the birds are kept in such close quarters, etc. You might meet some good people, you might meet some and be hardpressed to keep your mouth shut. that's all I'm sayin'.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well, it is Hubby who will do the meeting......I will be the plucker I'm sure, as well as the chef!

Jared77

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you Wannabefree for posting that link for me

Thanks OFG your post on the BYC is what brought me over here. So if anybody has any complaints please send a SASE to Ohio Farm Girl care of the State of Ohio :lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been thinking I will make a bird trap for years now, but just never got around to it, and I thought I might suggest it here.
The idea comes to me from an old family story my mother used to say on her grandparents. I will give the short end of it. Her grandpa would catch, kill and clean blackbirds and in her story he had about 20 of them in a big mixing bowl on the table and great-grandma was about to cook them.
They would come for old bread or rice that had been thrown out in the yard.
I realize some would think this is messing with the local wildlife, but its another meat source and really easy to set up.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Is there any MEAT on a bird that size? Seems like it would be just a whole lot of feathers.

I think I'll stick with chickens!

OFG can probably be "blamed" for a lot of us being over here. Hee Hee

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just wanted to chime in here and say I'm enjoying all these threads - I'm really hoping that next year I'll be able to stay home part time and work part time. In reading these threads I've noticed I've already started doing some of the things mentioned but saw some other great tips to help cut back even more.

What's really funny is that I could never imagine me being able to even think about processing chickens or other wild game and now I'm all for it! I actually can't wait! I was raised with a single mom and definitely have the "I can do it myself" attitude so I'm excited to see what I can do and even more excited to read how others are doing!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Is there any MEAT on a bird that size? Seems like it would be just a whole lot of feathers.

I think I'll stick with chickens!

OFG can probably be "blamed" for a lot of us being over here. Hee Hee
I am not sure about the size, because I only saw 2 being cooked when I was about 8 years old. I would think they are slightly smaller than a quail and you would need at least that amt for an adult, plus a side dish and starch, but I thought I'd maybe give it a try.
There are a lot of people in trouble now. Its not pretty. Its good that there are people who are trying to bloom where they are planted and make the best of their situation.
I think I am speaking for a lot of others here when I say that I sometimes get egg or chicken customers who begin questioning me on self-sufficiency 101. If I could get certified, I could almost offer a class and get paid; considering the 'need' for it as I see. People want to know that they will be taken care of.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd take that class! That is why I belong in this forum.

Hubby and I always wanted to be more self sufficient. We did some things that put us on the right track.

But hearing from real people who have actually tried these things and done them and ENJOY it....those are the folks I want to learn this from. I think we have the right blend here as well of using modern technology and knowledge as well as old-fashioned things that work.

But often there does not seem to be time to do things for yourself if you are working full time. You need to learn how to balance the best of both worlds.

Latest posts