Stepped on a Rusty Nail

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stepped on a rusty nail out by our new (old) barn this afternoon, went right through my shoe and punctured my big toe. It really didn't hurt much, just bled a little and I limped back to the cabin trying not to get it dirty. Washed my feet well and then applied some ACV to the wound. I had my last tetanus shot about 9 years ago. Didn't really bother me for the rest of the day, but I tried to stay off of it and keep it elevated and DH cooked dinner.
Now, here it is 3:30AM and it hurts! It's hot, red and swollen and has a white circle where the puncture wound is. No red streaks, I've already checked for that. Does anyone know of some kind of natural pain relief - one that's easy to find? I've got a lot of work to do around our place tomorrow - I mean today - including painting the new chicken coop, need both my feet to stand on to do that!!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Man! I feel your pain. I've done that several times in my life and it's no fun. I sure wish your tetanus shot was more recent. Due to the kind of things I do around here I try to get one every 4 years.

Unfortunately the things that would help the most should have been done within 5 minutes after the accident. I keep a bottle of 91% alcohol in the barn and one in my workshop just for these kind of things.

A puncture wound is very hard to clean and also very painful. Maybe an ice water bath will help the pain but won't do anything for the contamination and infection. Good luck - I wish I was more help.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ouch! I did the same thing years ago, but the nail went through my flip flop right into my heel. I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe you should consider getting another tetnus shot today. Nine years is pushing it, aren't they supposed to be good for 10? I couldn't remember when I had mine, so I went to the doc. It had been 8, but they gave me another one anyway. You kind of don't want to mess around with that...

Do you have any mother in your vinegar? I used that and it knocked the surface pain right away. It's rather short lived, though. It sounds like you have an infection of some kind starting in there if it's hot and painful enough to wake you in the middle of the night. Epsom salt soak?

You might want to paint the coop today, but it will still be there next week. Stay off that foot and take care of yourself. :hugs

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Do you have any mother in your vinegar?
I don't know what that is? :hide . I use Bragg's ACV in the bottle.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm thinking a warm epsom salt (or regular salt, ouch) bath would help. I second getting another tetanus. Not something you want to mess around with!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I'm thinking a warm epsom salt (or regular salt, ouch) bath would help. I second getting another tetanus. Not something you want to mess around with!
The epsom salt bath sounds like a great idea. And I third the idea of getting a tetanus booster.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
aggieterpkatie said:
The epsom salt bath sounds like a great idea. And I third the idea of getting a tetanus booster.
ditto ditto

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't like the idea of getting another tetanus shot :/ but I called the doc and he's insisting. I have an appointment at 4:00pm. Thanks all for your input :) The chicken coop will have to wait to be painted until tomorrow!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Just two weeks ago I did this too! I stepped on a rusty nail and it went THROUGH my flip-flop and into my arch of my ankle. Ouch! Dang nails.

I was Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad and did not go get a tetanus shot. But I don't drive and getting anywhere is a big pain for somebody in my family, but NEXT time I'm at the doctors I'm getting an update. I realize I just lucked out.:hide

Those really hurt though. I didn't walk on it for a couple days. But it seems worse when your toe is swollen. Why is it you constantly BUMP your toe when it is stubbed or hurt? :he

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have done that TWICE and once (the second time) the stupid thing broke off in my foot.

I went to the emergency room - waited most of the day - got x-rayed and the final verdict by the ER doctor was ... "Wow that is going to get infected."

:barnie

I went home. Soaked in the hot Epsom Salts water (highly recommended by the way :thumbsup) and ended up cutting my foot open with a sterile razor blade and digging out the nail MYSELF! Oh baby that one hurt!! After that it healed up nicely (and NO infection doctor.)

I would get that shot however. We had a pony die of lockjaw once ... it ain't a pretty way to go.