Still on the fence with Fluoride?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
I will have to look up the references, but a couple of years ago when we were fighting against the county putting municiple water down our street, I did a lot of research and if I remember correctly, the United States is the only country that puts fluoride in its water system. There was also quite of bit of "non-mainstream" evidence that there was definitely a correlation between fluoride injestion and osteoporosis.
No, it's not the only country--in Canada it varies by municipality. My city recently removed fluoride from it's municipal water system.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Flouride is like soy... it is an industrial waste product we have been convinced to ingest on a regular basis despite evidence it is harmful.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Are there are any home water filtration systems that remove it from our water? RO? I assume a Brita is wishful thinking...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
moolie said:
miss_thenorth said:
Are there are any home water filtration systems that remove it from our water? RO? I assume a Brita is wishful thinking...
http://www.google.ca/search?q=water....,cf.osb&fp=f308e8d84dcb5769&biw=1440&bih=701

I know that reverse osmosis removes fluoride as well, but it is an incredibly wasteful system and disposes of gallons of water to produce a much smaller amount of "clean" water.
REally? Hubby's work works with an RO system, he says it is a two pass system, and hardly wastes any water at all. Hmmm.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we were looking for a new house 3 years ago we found a lot of places that had RO installed, so we looked it up--the specific models we saw. Very wasteful. Glad the new systems are better, but there's a lot of those things installed everywhere--chucking perfectly good water down the drain.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Brita filters contain both activated charcoal and some kind of resin (like a water softener) that get a lot of the metal ions out of the water. Last time I checked, there was no specification about fluoride.

Distillation is the traditional way to separate inorganic compounds from water. They're in some of the biochemistry labs here. I wonder if there's a residential system....