Stinky he washer

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a cleaning cycle and I checked the instruction book and it said to run an empty load with bleach in the detergent tray. I'll have to look for a filter screen compartment when there is more light. I always try to leave the door open between cycles. My husband walks by and closes it :rolleyes: He doesn't notice the odors that I do either.

goldenluver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
be sure to not close the door when not in use, it creates a moldy smell if you close it up. Sears sells a he washing machine cleaner that you can use as well.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have had a couple of front loaders now and stink is not one of my problems with them- I leave the door open all the time and clean around the gasket. What I don't get is why they don't have an actual lint filter for all the animal hair. I asked the salesperson and he said, well, they don't need one. Well, I always had a lot of animal hair in my old washer's lint filter. Where is all that hair going now? Right back onto the clothes. :he

I use home made powdered detergent in it and bleach on the dog bedding and anything else that needs it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow, I have been using HE soap for a month and just noticed that my washer stinks!

You guys think it has to do with the specific soap? I have had this washer for at least 5 years and it have NEVER had an odor. :(

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I run a load every day, so my machine does not stink. but i do leave the door open when not in use. However, about the lint filter, it does not necessarily go back on the clothes, it goes down your drain when the spin cycle is on.

Last year, I had posted that my laundry room stank when teh spin cycle was on, and then shortly after, it wouldn't drain and even came up into my dishwasher. Turns out my hubby had to snake the drain pipe all the way out of the house to the septic tank. he then had to open up a section of the drain pipe int he basement, and he collected a two foot long collection of sludge. I'm sure it wasn't all from the washing machine, some was from the laundry tub, but whatever, it was gross and disgusting.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Have you carefully and *thoroughly* explored the folds within the rubber gasket around the door opening?

Mine catch large deposits of unsavory materials (hair of all possible species; dirt and lint; and until recently, diaper 'residue', uck) and unless I remove it regularly it does tend to start to get skanky. I gather models differ in how hidden these recesses and pockets are -- mine has some really hard to find ones buried in there -- but it is worth exploring.

Also I do not know how your washer is plumbed but you might want to check the outflow hose and anything associated with it. Regarding a previous post about why no lint filter -- the lint does NOT stay there in your clothes, it is super-centrifuged out and goes into the outflow hose and laundry sink, MUCH MUCH moreso than with a top-loader. Thus there is a lot more potential for things clogging up or even just getting a pocket of residue laminating itself on somewhere and starting to ferment.

Good luck,

Pat