Stinky he washer

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree with Pat and Chickens, there can be a lot of odor in that gasket. I used to operate an HE washer at a boarding kennel and we had to clean and wipe the gasket each and every load for it to function properly a debris would collect there.

I have a HE washer at home as well (Samsung) and I have never had problems with it smelling and the gasket does not fill up or need to be cleaned except occasionally. I also do not have to leave the door open. That would be highly inconvenient in my multi-purpose space I have my washer.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
wait a second. I have an old washer and we NEVER have stank issues. Are you telling me that ya'll have HE washers that eventually get "the stank" and Tide has now come out with a product to fight "the stank"?

well if that isn't just convenient... *adjusts tinfoil hat*

goldenluver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
the he washers have a front load door that seals air tight against a rubber seal, when not in use, if there is no air flow then yes it will get moldy smelling, that is why you leave the door opened as in just ajar, not sealed.
I personally would not purchase those cleaners again after the first time. I did once, from Sears, it said to run the whole bottle at one time, once a month, and at 20 dollars a bottle, I think NOT!

if it is really bad, buy the product one time, after that, just remember to leave door uncealed.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well I had the old standard top loading washer which is about5 years old. Ihave just started using HE Tide because we ordered new HEwasher and dryer but the delivery has been delayed.

Bottom line is that my good old washer is stinky now. The freshly washed laundry coming out if it smells like nasty old gym socks :sick

And I leave the lid open when not in use.

goldenluver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I wonder if the drain lines are slightly clogged, maybe causing bacteria to build up in the drain.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ihave just started using HE Tide because we ordered new HEwasher and dryer but the delivery has been delayed.Bottom line is that my good old washer is stinky now. The freshly washed laundry coming out if it smells like nasty old gym socks
I thought (correct me if I'm wrong?) that they do not recommend using the HE detergents in regular top-loader machines? I think something about how it washes out? (The front-loaders spin much, MUCH faster than top-loaders.) I am fuzzy on this, but it sort of rings a bell?

Pat

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
This one came to us like this. :sick I use homemade detergent, just figured out how much to use without having residue. He uses and "he" deteregent.
Are you using a liquid homemade or a powder? I noticed mine started smelling really bad about 6 months after I started using the liquid soap and all the clothes were stinky too. About two years ago I started making powdered detergent and haven't had a problem since.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Dace said:
Ihave just started using HE Tide because we ordered new HEwasher and dryer but the delivery has been delayed.Bottom line is that my good old washer is stinky now. The freshly washed laundry coming out if it smells like nasty old gym socks
I thought (correct me if I'm wrong?) that they do not recommend using the HE detergents in regular top-loader machines? I think something about how it washes out? (The front-loaders spin much, MUCH faster than top-loaders.) I am fuzzy on this, but it sort of rings a bell?

Pat
Well you could very well be right! The sales man :)smack) told me to buy the HE soap and use that in my reg machine until my new front loader was delivered....he said the only difference is that it is low sudsing. But you know how peope can be....give their suggestions without really knowing the facts, then add to that someone like me who blindly does as instructed. :hu

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Back to a bucket and washboard! Uses less water, no stink and gets clothes really clean. :p