Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Why do you suppose it is that some people equate stocking up food and other needed supplies with being paranoid? Were our grandparents paranoid when they understood that sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you better be prepared when it does?

Today I went to a local store that advertised name brand canned vegetables for almost half off, and while checking out, a pleasant young woman (twenty something) with a couple of kids in tow, engaged me in conversation. I was buying a case of each vegetable type, and she asked why I was buying such a large amount. Not wanting to get too deeply into it with her, I told her that prices were starting to rise faster and since my income was fixed and that it could be reduced at some point, I thought that I would buy extra to keep on hand. Her response was, "Oh, your one of those paranoid people who hoard food. Don't you know that if there is an emergency, others people won't have any food because you bought so much?".

I asked her if "If for any reason the stores didn't open, how long could you and your children live on the food that you have in your home?", and her reply was a day or two. I noticed that she was buying several videos and soft drinks. I reminded her about two recent local events that kept store closed for a couple of weeks, and suggested that she might consider keeping a little bit extra on hand for her children and herself. Her reply was "Because I'm not paranoid".

:barnie

It doesn't matter if you call it stocking up, putting back, prepping for a SHTF situation, or just common sense, there are some people who have been conditioned to look at you as crazy or even evil for doing so. I believe that a large portion of the first world public has been so insulated and spoiled, that they have no comprehension of how rare and fragile our "on demand" lifestyle is, or how easily we can lose it. I'm afraid that a lot of people are in for a rude awakening. YMMV

Natalie's Nesters

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree with you. Many people choose to put their head in the sand, and ignore what is happening in the world. I take care of my family, not going to wait for help to find me. People need to wake up! Great post!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Her response was, "Oh, your one of those paranoid people who hoard food. Don't you know that if there is an emergency, others people won't have any food because you bought so much?".

I asked her if "If for any reason the stores didn't open, how long could you and your children live on the food that you have in your home?", and her reply was a day or two. I noticed that she was buying several videos and soft drinks. I reminded her about two recent local events that kept store closed for a couple of weeks, and suggested that she might consider keeping a little bit extra on hand for her children and herself. Her reply was "Because I'm not paranoid".

I'm afraid that a lot of people are in for a rude awakening. YMMV
And I'm afraid that it will be people like that woman who will be the first ones screaming when the government does not immediately come to their aid. (Does "Hurricane Katrina" mean nothing to these people??) :he

Coincidently, DH & I went to Harbor Freight today as there were some interesting sale items in their flyer (I finally broke down & bought a 2000W power inverter :) ). The young man (late 20's?) helping us find things said to DH, "Anything else I can help you with, sir?" DH shrugged, motioned at me, & said, "Ask her." He gives us this "funny" look, & says "Hmm, that's a switch." Implying, I assume, that it was strange that the "little woman" would be buying things at HF. I just smiled & said, "Well, I'm the emergency preparedness expert in the house." He looks at the rechargeable batteries, inverter, magnesium fire-starters, etc. in our cart, looks up at me & says, "Uhhh...anything you know that I don't?" I gave him my stern-librarian look, & said, "You been watching the news?" His reply (with deer-in-the-headlights expression): "Ummmmmmmmm......"

Lord help us. :rolleyes:

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
It doesn't matter if you call it stocking up, putting back, prepping for a SHTF situation, or just common sense, there are some people who have been conditioned to look at you as crazy or even evil for doing so. I believe that a large portion of the first world public has been so insulated and spoiled, that they have no comprehension of how rare and fragile our "on demand" lifestyle is, or how easily we can lose it. I'm afraid that a lot of people are in for a rude awakening. YMMV
Unfortunately, that is very true.

And like i_am2bz stated, there will be many that are screaming for the government to "do something".

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm guessing those are the same people who were going on and on and on about how horrible it was for our town where high winds knocked out power for a couple days (several falls ago). as they were going on about the horror of it all.. a couple of us - including an Amish guy - were all just laughing to ourselves.

its all a big joke to some folks - but then... for most of them their big plan is to come here if something bad happens. ha!

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know Im not as prepared as many on this site. But I do what I can and get extra when I can. Im no where near what I would like to have. I know we all need to prepare. I sure hope this lady snaps out of it and gets at least a months worth of food in the house at one time. If not for her, but for her kids. I feel for those kids. If some thing happens where there is a short or no food supply, they will have nothing to eat.

And no I dont think people who prepare for the worst are paranoid. There can be any number of things that will make it so you need food or other supplies. Wether it be collapse of money. Or natural distaster. I know my family is alreadyt starting to get priced out of the food market. As it already was I only shopped sales and reduced items. Now with those items, Im still getting way less.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Why do you suppose it is that some people equate stocking up food and other needed supplies with being paranoid? Were our grandparents paranoid when they understood that sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you better be prepared when it does?

Today I went to a local store that advertised name brand canned vegetables for almost half off, and while checking out, a pleasant young woman (twenty something) with a couple of kids in tow, engaged me in conversation. I was buying a case of each vegetable type, and she asked why I was buying such a large amount. Not wanting to get too deeply into it with her, I told her that prices were starting to rise faster and since my income was fixed and that it could be reduced at some point, I thought that I would buy extra to keep on hand. Her response was, "Oh, your one of those paranoid people who hoard food. Don't you know that if there is an emergency, others people won't have any food because you bought so much?".

:barnie

Couldn't agree more...that was such as huge realization for DH and I.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
How about the friends who are starting to realize it but instead of being a bit more prepared....they keep tending their decorative landscaping and say, in perfect seriousness, "We'll be coming over to your house if and when...."

There will only be room for my family, who all roll up their sleeves and get right to work. In fact, we exhaust each other because there is an unspoken contest to outwork whoever you are working next to. :p

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You are so right Mark! I've had people say mean things to me when the store was having a case sale. A CASE SALE! I have noticed that the people and cashiers are the worst at Wal-Mart, for some reason, in my experience. Very probing questions and very snarky comments. I prefer to shop with DH now- people are afraid of him and we never get any questions or comments ;)

We have always set aside things while DH is working, because he is frequently laid off (works construction) and having things set back allayed my panic. We have become much more serious about it recently- he was off for 5 1/2 months, which may not be long by some peoples experience, but was the longest layoff of his employed life. We got a crash course in what we lacked, that's for sure.

I have found zero tolerance from even family for what we do. There are a few 'share the wealth' types in our family, who say- like the woman in the store with you, that we are taking it all and leaving nothing for others. I quickly point out that I have never cleared a shelf while shopping. There has always been food left for them to buy. Some family and friends who have an inkling about what we do make snide remarks to us about hoarding, then turn around and say the words that scare me more than anything- "We know who's house we're coming to if anything happens" I try to choke down the fear, then reply "You will be greeted by a 9mm (among others) and a very well trained german shepard. If you make it as far as the door, I will applaud you and then tell you to leave!" It is VERY hard to say that to most of them, but common sense dictates that I can take care of my immediate family with the steps I am taking, but would starve ourselves trying to support just extended family (19 people at present). So, we try, and try, to convince them to prepare for even minor emergencies- we have wicked storms here on occasion- and hope it sinks in. So far, not so good.

I don't understand the head-in-sand mentality that NN referred to. Yes, there may always be food on the shelves at the grocery store, but will you be able to pay the price they ask? The antiquated electric grid may continue to function perfectly, but will you be able to afford the power they offer? There seems to be an overabundance of complacency today that worries me.

I would like to be at a point in our ss that any loss: power, job, etc. will be nothing more for us than a chance for DH to spend time at home and get busy on the honey-do list I keep adding to!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We try to keep the fact that we are stocking up very quiet; I'd rather not have to shoot people. I've never had anyone actually ask me why I'm buying so much of something; maybe because I do a lot of my shopping at Cash & Carry. They probably think I'm buying for a restaurant.

It's crazy how people can read about drought and floods and it just doesn't make any connection to the grocery store for them. Where do they think the food is coming from? Inflation has been a fact of life for so long, you would think if people see a great sale on something they like they would at least buy as many of whatever it is as they have room and money