Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've thought about it and the answer is a clear and unequivocal "YES".

I don't put my faith about survival of any one thing or event on my own abilities to stock up and provide for myself. I put my faith in God and He clearly states that we are to give and give cheerfully to those in need. Personally, I'd much rather do the will of the One that is in control of all circumstances than obey my baser, more human instinct of being self-serving...even unto death.

In the end, it's all in what drives your motives here on Earth...is this the only place you imagine you will be living? If so, I guess your goal would be to live here and survive at all costs. If you have faith in a life eternal that goes on, past this frail existence on Earth, then I guess your decisions are made in the light of that eternity. Mine are, therefore death is nothing that I shy away from nor fear..it's just a doorway into another, more bountiful existence that I eagerly anticipate.

Want my food? You can have it! It won't feed your soul~ nor keep you from the thing you fear the most..it comes to us all, folks, it's just a matter of when.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's a hard question to answer. I am not religious in any way. I do not believe in an afterlife. I believe that this is it, after we're done here, we're done, period. I also believe that I need to do the best for my family first, but would be very hard pressed to turn away someone with a small child and tell them "nope, sorry, you cannot have food, because I only have three years worth of food and dunno how long this crap will last". Then again, I also don't believe that we will have any "SHTF" scenarios as some people put it (world coming to an end, etc). I believe in stocking for PERSONAL SHTF situations, like losing a job, power outages, etc. The typical stuff that people worried about a few generations ago. I'm in a personal low, with very, very limited money, but I also still help people out who need it. I still donate soap to the local food bank here. I have been helping my friend get back from the doctors, and refuse to take gas money, because I know she's in the same spot I am. I guess, I do have a solid support here... My family and the boyfriend wouldn't ever let us go without something, but I HATE to be a mooch. :/

Eh, sorry for the ramble, lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd definately share. There is one instance I can think of that I would NOT, and that is someone trying to take it by force. Quite frankly, they'd get shot, and we'd have food for the dogs. Sound heartless? Maybe so, but I have no tolerance, and will not be bullied into doing something I'd do anyway without the drama. In a CHTF scenario, I'd help anyone and everyone I could, and teach them how to take care of themselves in the meantime.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I'd definately share. There is one instance I can think of that I would NOT, and that is someone trying to take it by force. Quite frankly, they'd get shot, and we'd have food for the dogs. Sound heartless? Maybe so, but I have no tolerance, and will not be bullied into doing something I'd do anyway without the drama. In a CHTF scenario, I'd help anyone and everyone I could, and teach them how to take care of themselves in the meantime.
I lean towards this answer...

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've thought about it and it depends on the situation. If it looks to be short term and I can afford to restock then yes. If long term and I can't afford to restock then no. Before storms are predicted or anything that makes people run to the store to buy stuff, if I can I go and buy for the local women and childrens shelter. I figure they will need it to and it's one less group I need to worry about showing up and my neighbors see me doing what they do so they don't think I have more than them.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't subscribe to the "end of the world" worries, I just "prep" for potential local disasters and to ensure my family will make it through any personal financial crisis that may again crop up (e.g. loss of job).

When others are in need, I pitch in--with my time and with food/clothing/other needed things wherever I am able, it's part of who I am. And I know who I can count on similarily.

I think it's a good way to live life.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
What she said...
This is an interesting string. There are 376 responses but over 23000 views. I find that very interesting.
Trim sends
//BT//

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
IMO people need to help each other as much as possible; I think it's what we're here for. I try to do that now as much as I can, so I can't see that changing in the event of a disaster of some sort :)