Stocking Up, Putting Back, Prepping = Paranoia?

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had a recent conversation that convinced me a little bit of paranoia is a good thing. As background, during our stocking up endeavors, DH and I have chosen to move to a cash-based system where we only pay cash when purchasing large quantities of food or other items. This was prompted by the reports of raids on food co-ops, etc. demanding customer lists. I understand that there is some question in regards to these reports, however on the off-chance that this did indeed happen a cash transaction seems a wise course.

Last week I was visiting with a close acquaintance who had recently vacationed in Canada with his wife. They were near Niagara and traveled several times back and forth between the Canada and the US. One afternoon they stopped at a fruit market and purchased a large box of cherries to enjoy using a credit card. The next day they traveled back into the US and was stopped by border patrol on an agricultural inspection. Luckily, the cherries had been left in their hotel room in Canada. While their car was being searched, my friend struck up a conversation with several other US citizens in the lobby whose vehicles were also being searched on an agricultural inspection. The conversation turned to the "randomness" of being stopped and lo and behold, each of the other citizens who were being searched had also purchased fresh fruit and vegetables using a credit card.

I have been bothered by this conversation all week. It is really making me rethink all of my purchases using my debit and credit cards. I am beginning to feel like I need to start making all of my purchases locally using cash rather than making online purchases. This even includes books and other sustainability resources purchased from online retailers.

While I work really hard at not being completely paranoid, it really frosts my cookies to think about the tracking that goes on. I really don't like people in my business!!

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
I had a recent conversation that convinced me a little bit of paranoia is a good thing. As background, during our stocking up endeavors, DH and I have chosen to move to a cash-based system where we only pay cash when purchasing large quantities of food or other items. This was prompted by the reports of raids on food co-ops, etc. demanding customer lists. I understand that there is some question in regards to these reports, however on the off-chance that this did indeed happen a cash transaction seems a wise course.

Last week I was visiting with a close acquaintance who had recently vacationed in Canada with his wife. They were near Niagara and traveled several times back and forth between the Canada and the US. One afternoon they stopped at a fruit market and purchased a large box of cherries to enjoy using a credit card. The next day they traveled back into the US and was stopped by border patrol on an agricultural inspection. Luckily, the cherries had been left in their hotel room in Canada. While their car was being searched, my friend struck up a conversation with several other US citizens in the lobby whose vehicles were also being searched on an agricultural inspection. The conversation turned to the "randomness" of being stopped and lo and behold, each of the other citizens who were being searched had also purchased fresh fruit and vegetables using a credit card.

I have been bothered by this conversation all week. It is really making me rethink all of my purchases using my debit and credit cards. I am beginning to feel like I need to start making all of my purchases locally using cash rather than making online purchases. This even includes books and other sustainability resources purchased from online retailers.

While I work really hard at not being completely paranoid, it really frosts my cookies to think about the tracking that goes on. I really don't like people in my business!!
this is so true , ive been tryin to keep up on some of this tracking?? also those little card deals most supermarkets use to save u money are totally a tracking device, once you register your name and all, they can track all your purchases with them. the points you recieve???? yeah good cover for a way to track you, i use cash as often as possible, paranoid?? maybe but true is thats what its for

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
shaner said:

this is so true , ive been tryin to keep up on some of this tracking?? also those little card deals most supermarkets use to save u money are totally a tracking device, once you register your name and all, they can track all your purchases with them. the points you recieve???? yeah good cover for a way to track you, i use cash as often as possible, paranoid?? maybe but true is thats what its for
this is true.. and i didnt realize.... one nice thing is that most of the time those reward cards are for things that are packaged..... not for the fresh produce :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Right you are Loyality or rewards cards do track your purchases and at least here don't try to hide the fact. every week I get a list of the specials with a cover page that mentions only things that I have bought there before, my 'favorites'.
Has anyone tried those refillable credit cards? do they work? I won't carry a Debit card or a ATM card. I have already "donated" all the cash I had on my person 3 times to thugs. Only the dumb one that took and tried to use my cell phone to call Mexico was ever caught. To be clear they all took my cell so I couldn't call the cops right away but most know not to keep it.
have you noticed the ads on these pages change depending what we write about?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I understand that tracking customers is an old trick. There are obvious business benefits---knowing what regular customers buy helps you stock the shelves, etc. But I'm using cash these days...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not all that worried about them tracking what I purchase at the grocery stores. If they want to know that I'm a cheap-o who buys cheap stuff that I can afford and wipe my ass with toilet paper, all the more power to them.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't like it but neither do I care...I'm with Bettacreek on that one. Yes, I'm paranoid. No, I don't plan to do anything with that knowledge besides recognizing that these things are happening when they DO happen.

I also have a little fun with it sometimes. :D The other day I was in a place where the very nice cashier was sweetly asking each customer their phone number during every purchase. I've never seen this store put out any circulars or ads, so I know it's not "so we can send you promos". :rolleyes:

When it was my turn to pay, she asked me for my phone number, "May I have your phone number?" in that sweet, perky way. I just as sweetly said, "No." with a sugary smile. Her mouth dropped open for a moment and she said, "Really?" and I said, "Yes, really." and smiled again. She kind of stuttered around and then said that it was "quite alright" if I didn't want to give out my number. I replied, "I know it's alright, that's why I didn't give it." and again offered her my own syrupy smile.

That gave me a chuckle all day but it also let me know how many people just give these people want they want because they don't want to seem obstructive or to do anything other than the norm. I do the same thing at TSC or other stores that want to know my phone number or zip code. I've already bought their merchandise, I don't need to also do their tracking for them. Would they like me to provide valet parking as well? :rolleyes:

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't like it but neither do I care...I'm with Bettacreek on that one. Yes, I'm paranoid. No, I don't plan to do anything with that knowledge besides recognizing that these things are happening when they DO happen.

I also have a little fun with it sometimes. :D The other day I was in a place where the very nice cashier was sweetly asking each customer their phone number during every purchase. I've never seen this store put out any circulars or ads, so I know it's not "so we can send you promos". :rolleyes:

When it was my turn to pay, she asked me for my phone number, "May I have your phone number?" in that sweet, perky way. I just as sweetly said, "No." with a sugary smile. Her mouth dropped open for a moment and she said, "Really?" and I said, "Yes, really." and smiled again. She kind of stuttered around and then said that it was "quite alright" if I didn't want to give out my number. I replied, "I know it's alright, that's why I didn't give it." and again offered her my own syrupy smile.

That gave me a chuckle all day but it also let me know how many people just give these people want they want because they don't want to seem obstructive or to do anything other than the norm. I do the same thing at TSC or other stores that want to know my phone number or zip code. I've already bought their merchandise, I don't need to also do their tracking for them. Would they like me to provide valet parking as well? :rolleyes:
:clap :clap :clap

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i havent had a creadit card in over 10 years. and people offten wonder why?