Stopped and talked to a shepard

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I stopped and talked to a shepard today. I've drove past many times but never seen anyone around. Today the owner was out so I stopped and talked. He just got back from auction and bought more sheep. He said he now has 100 on 15 acres. I asked home if he would be willing to sell and and he said no he just spent 9 thousand at auction paid $3.25 a lb he said sheep are very expensive around here. I believe it because don't hardly see any at all but you sure see lots of cattle.

He did offer me a texas longhorn heffer and her calf for $750.00 I told him.i would think on it. Honestly that's the first long horn I've seen around here mostly black angus.

Is $750.00 a good prices for a longhorn and her heiffer calf? It seems like a good price to me but IDK. She's a big cow mostly red with white markings comes with newly born calf also a red long horn. Are long horns good for meat? I just red they are great for meat, prized for their lean meat.

Last edited:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I stopped and talked to a shepard today. I've drove past many times but never seen anyone around. Today the owner was out so I stopped and talked. He just got back from auction and bought more sheep. He said he now has 100 on 15 acres. I asked home if he would be willing to sell and and he said no he just spent 9 thousand at auction paid $3.25 a lb he said sheep are very expensive around here. I believe it because don't hardly see any at all but you sure see lots of cattle.

He did offer me a texas longhorn heffer and her calf for $750.00 I told him.i would think on it. Honestly that's the first long horn I've seen around here mostly black angus.

Is $750.00 a good prices for a longhorn and her heiffer calf? It seems like a good price to me but IDK. She's a big cow mostly red with white markings comes with newly born calf also a red long horn. Are long horns good for meat? I just red they are great for meat, prized for their lean meat.

Not sure about any of that, but I've read where folks will keep a longhorn cow in the herd to protect the rest of the cows and calves from coyote predation. Could be she would protect your eventual sheep flock in the same manner. It's a good price for any cow and calf combination...you can always breed her back to a beefier breed to get more meat on the carcass of the offspring. Ask your farmer dude if she's bred back or if he will breed her back before she leaves his place.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes i did, boy was I ever sorry that I opened my big dumb mouth and said I wanted one. The Hereford cows I had were great, the Longhorn Bull was the biggest PITA I ever had.

that said, $750 is a good price for a cow/calf. Prized for their lean meat? By whom? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Lean meat-no fat in the meat. My least favorite cut of beef is a rump roast. I don't care if you boil the damn thing, simmer it in gravy for 36 hours in a crock pot or flush it down the toilet, it is dry, dry, dry. The more you chew, the bigger it gets. Why? It is LEAN!

I'd buy the cow, raise up the heifer to 18 months on good grass and some feed, then increase the feed. Finish her out on corn for 2 months, slaughter at 24 months. Have the cow bred before you bring them home to a good beef bull, if he has one. He probably does, and is selling the Longhorn because they don't bring a good price at auction. Then you will have another calf to raise for the freezer. If you don't like the meat for whatever reason, great! you will have another calf for the freezer and will know to skip the cuts and just make hamburger. At that point, if this is less than a stellar experience, slaughter the cow for hamburger. Keep the liver, heart, tongue and kidneys for the dogs.

A friend of ours went to auction and bought 10 Longhorn heifers for $150 each because nobody bid on them. He bred them to an Angus bull, homozygous for black. They always had black calves. He hustled them to auction before the horns got to showing and the calves always brought a good price. Haha!

There is a reason she is the first Longhorn you've seen around there. There is a reason there is mostly Angus around there. My bet is your farmer friend has an Angus bull and can breed the cow back for you. I'd also bet the calf is from his Angus bull. In all honesty, this is a very good deal, I'd take it. If the cow is a bitch PITA, eat her.

Latest posts