stopped by GoodWill today

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our goodwill is way overpriced too. T-shirts are $3 and jeans are $10. Books are $1 and up. Granted, I do usually check the books because some books are worth a dollar, but kids' books? Nah, I'll find them at a yard sale for a dime.

I wanted to buy my son a bike for his 3rd birthday and the cheapest one they had was $30! I talked to the store manager and told him I could buy a brand new one at walmart for that price. He then told me that Huffy was a good brand and he couldn't go any lower than that. Huffy, really?

The last time I was in there they had an electric ice cream maker marked at $50. Sure it was still in the box, but it had been used and this is goodwill for heaven sakes! I'm not going to pay MORE than I would elsewhere for used stuff.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
this is funny. I guess I find good deals because I am not going in there looking for some particular thing. I go in looking for the bargains and basically something to make a buck on. Take for instance that copper bowl. I did not going looking for an egg beating bowl. I found it under a bunch of other stuff, so it must have been there a while. I just happened to realize that it was worth more in scrap than what they wanted for it. Then when I got it home I found out that it was worth even more than that.

My wife complains about how the price of clothes has gone up way to much in there but she now goes to find other stuff. We just never know what it is going to be. I will also say that Goodwill is the best place to find picture frames. They usually have the ugliest piece of art in them and you will have to throw that away, but the frame is always cheaper than what it would cost you in a frame shop, especially if it has glass in it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wally, I don't go in looking for anything either. But, I almost always come out empty handed. I could not tell you when the last time was that I actually bought something.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a complete art easel new in the box with all the paints, chalks etc.. for 14 buck. Listed it on CL for 50.00 and it sold in less than 12 hours!!!

Whoot!!! When it's a bargain you have to jump on it!!!

g

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The CEO of Goodwill makes 5 million dollars a year:( I love thrift store shopping. In our community, there are several. I do avoid the goodwill, but with lots of choices, that works fine!! My favorite is Teen Challenge. They are a non-profit that helps youth get off drugs, get skills, and find some pride. Last week when I was in, we found 3 nearly new youth wet suits. 2 were 30 each ( I talked them down to 25) and the other was 20. I put them for 55 each online and I sold all three for 130:D. My happiest find for me was a canning water bath pan for 1.50- they give a nice military discount..yippee!!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I don't go to the regular Goodwill. We have a Goodwill outlet and that is where I get my bargains. Before I knew about the Goodwill Outlet, I shopped at lots of other second hand stores that were run by different organizations, not the major ones like Salvation Army and Purple Heart, But even those were still better priced than Goodwill.

nyboy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What about bedbugs? Here in NY you can't pickup a newspaper without a story about them.

LostMindPleaseFind

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
:lol: okay, but how will you get the bed bug to walk over it? I'm in the pest control industry and just because of your statement I looked at a DE website that claimed this. Bed bugs are sneaky little things, they hide in nooks and crannies, up under seams and in the box springs. The best way to control them is not to get them. :th

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
St. Vincent De Pauls here has sweet deals. 1/2 the price of Goodwill. I picked up some like-new boys shorts and pants for less than $1.50 each! Goodwill here would be 2.99 - 4.99. :rolleyes:
I love the big St. Vinnie's in Green Bay!!!! The small one on the West side of town just doesn't have it.

Latest posts