Storing butter.

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Years ago I had a chance to pickup 60 lbs. of butter at a really low price. To store this butter I used a formula I came accrossed in an old book.
You pack the butter in layers of refined sea salt. I used 6 gallon food grade buckets and put a layer of salt down first about an inch thick then a layer of the butter cubes minus the wax paper wrapping. Filled to the top making sure to have again about an inch layer of the sea salt on top and sealed the bucket and stored it in our root cellar. We had fresh tasting butter over a year later.
I would pull out a lb. at a time and rinse off the salt in cold water. It worked great. Hope this may be of some help to anyone needing to store butter long term.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I never heard that before, but could see it. I have heard about canning butter by melting it, putting it in canning jars and then shaking it as it cools so it doesn't separate. Never tried it though.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Fantastic tip. I have been putting it in the freezer, but it is great to have a method that works if you don't have that option.

krazeepolack

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I also did not realize butter could be stored in a freezer. :idunno Thanks for the info! :clap These computer sites are becoming addictive, & I've only had computers since the old days of "GREEN SCREEN" :caf

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great advice Homesteader.

So when you say cubes are you referring to 1/4 of a pound? How thick would the layers of salt in the middle be? What if you don't have sea salt? Do you think another type of salt would work?

g

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:caf

I've been storing my extra in the freezer, too. Actually gotta go to the store today and stock up on cheese and butter - fab sale prices! Butter's $2.50/lb? -4 sticks - which is like half price, and the cheese is the same price! Might even get enough extra to try canning some of each, or at least the cheese ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I shred and freeze cheese. Never heard of canning it. :pop

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah me too... I freeze our riccotta and mozerella when I make a big batch... even after freezing it's still great on pizzas, pasta and such!

But I love to can things since we have a small freezer and I prefer to fill it with meat! hahaha and I would love to know how to can cheese!!!

I buy a canned nacho cheese at sam's club that I use to make our mac and cheese with (I know it's garbage but it tastes SOOOO good!) but if I could figure out how to make it and can it... mmMMMmm cheeeeessseee.... :drool I wouldn't have to feel so guilty over feeding it to my family.