Storing butter.

GhostRider65

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OH mY much easier than I expected it to be though time is a problem for some that isn't the case with me, I'm always looking for something to do thats useful, especially in the winter when the weather is nasty. Thank you so very much for sharing that page..... Kim

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is all good info. I too freeze excess cheese and butter and never have noticed a problem. I remember my grandmother talking about cheese rations. I'm interesten in trying Ghee. Sounds like a good time in the kitchen if nothing else :) Do you think it would be good for making roux?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Haven't tried it - YET, but you cut the cheese in cubes, and have your canning jars sitting in boiling water, and slowly put the cubes in and let them melt. Once jar is full, WBC it. Of course, the USDA does not approve of the canning of dairy (pooh on them!), so do so at your own risk.

(I'm just still busy trying to figure out how Libby's cans pumpkin, and Pet and Eagle Brand can milk if its not approved by the USDA....)

here's a link with the how-to: http://krissimplyliving.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-think-i-will-can-some-cheese-today.html
and the link with the pics:http://krissimplyliving.blogspot.com/2010/11/as-promised-pictures-of-canned-cheese.html
Ive wkndered about that, too. Maybe its possible because of stricter sanitation than you would normally find in a residential kitchen.

I cube pumpkin and can it. That way the water can swirl around it and heat the food. I think the results others have had with purees and other thick liquids are lucky, not safe.

Nonesuch Farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
homesteader said:
Years ago I had a chance to pickup 60 lbs. of butter at a really low price. To store this butter I used a formula I came accrossed in an old book.
You pack the butter in layers of refined sea salt. I used 6 gallon food grade buckets and put a layer of salt down first about an inch thick then a layer of the butter cubes minus the wax paper wrapping. Filled to the top making sure to have again about an inch layer of the sea salt on top and sealed the bucket and stored it in our root cellar. We had fresh tasting butter over a year later.
I would pull out a lb. at a time and rinse off the salt in cold water. It worked great. Hope this may be of some help to anyone needing to store butter long term.
If only we had root cellars in south east Texas :(

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
~gd said:
Back in the day,[1960's] The feds would support Dairy prices by having excesses made into Butter and cheese. It was then given out instead of cash to welfare families, and even donated to Boy & Girl Scout camps if they knew the right person to ask. I always thought it was funny as heck that the middle class would be messing with oleo-margarine [sp] while the really poor were eating real butter on their toast.
I know this is going OT, but I had to laugh at this because DH got "welfare food" while living in the projects in NYC back in the 60/70's...to this day, he RAVES about the powdered eggs they used to receive! Even tho he can have fresh eggs from our flock, if given a choice, he'd prefer his "welfare eggs." :rolleyes:
I love the powdered eggs to and we have chickens lol, and we called it gobment cheese lol I buy the canned powdered eggs to this day

ilvalleygal

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
dma1974 said:
This is all good info. I too freeze excess cheese and butter and never have noticed a problem. I remember my grandmother talking about cheese rations. I'm interesten in trying Ghee. Sounds like a good time in the kitchen if nothing else :) Do you think it would be good for making roux?
Yes, I made a blonde roux last night to go with some pasta and seafood. It took a little longer but that might have more to do with the ambient temperature and humidity than the lack of butter fat in the ghee.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ilvalleygal said:
dma1974 said:
Yes, I made a blonde roux last night to go with some pasta and seafood. It took a little longer but that might have more to do with the ambient temperature and humidity than the lack of butter fat in the ghee.
Oops! Don't you mean "lack of milk solids"? Ghee is all butter fat, and no milk solids :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
homesteader said:
You pack the butter in layers of refined sea salt. I used 6 gallon food grade buckets and put a layer of salt down first about an inch thick then a layer of the butter cubes minus the wax paper wrapping. Filled to the top making sure to have again about an inch layer of the sea salt on top and sealed the bucket and stored it in our root cellar. We had fresh tasting butter over a year later.
I would pull out a lb. at a time and rinse off the salt in cold water. It worked great. Hope this may be of some help to anyone needing to store butter long term.
Very interesting information. Seems to me I heard something about "salt butter" storage from my grandmother (her childhood on a farm).

In our home, at present, we freeze extra butter. But I do wonder if it's taking up too much space, sometimes... we run low on freezer space at times. So the salt storage method, coupled with our cold room (sealed-off room in the basement - no refrigeration, tho) might be the ticket.

I wanted to ask you: Does storing butter this way actually prevent rancidity? I think the problem is that butter goes rancid within a week or less at ordinary room temperature. But if it tasted good a year later for you, then it must have prevented all rancidity.

ilvalleygal

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
ORChick said:
ilvalleygal said:
dma1974 said:
Oops! Don't you mean "lack of milk solids"? Ghee is all butter fat, and no milk solids :)
umm, oops. So much for multi-tasking! Glad you knew what I meant.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boy, am I glad I found this thread! ! Lots of great info. We use a lot of butter, so our freezers always have quite a bit in them. I never thought about preserving it in salt. It makes sense thou. You use salt to preserve meat.

Monica