storing carrots in sawdust?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
No oil that I can think of.
We have it in abundance up here, and its free by the truckload.
We just brought home half a truckload yesterday.

I have been reading that layering carrots in damp sawdust in the root cellar is ideal, but
cannot find anything about what kinds of sawdust are best, never mind worst :lol:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. The worst that could happen? You might have to peel the carrots if they pick up an off-taste from the sap. I don't think they would, but?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have read about this. I would say leave them in the ground with a topping of straw to overwinter but I don't suppose you can do that up where you are.

I have book around here somewhere I will check if it says what kind of saw dust is best.

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I have read about this. I would say leave them in the ground with a topping of straw to overwinter but I don't suppose you can do that up where you are.

I have book around here somewhere I will check if it says what kind of saw dust is best.

g
Yeah, we get several weeks of -30 and -40. so no in ground storage.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My Foxfire books say oak and hickory sawdust specifically and it seems...I'd have to check to be sure...that carrots need a bit of damp sawdust rather than dry sawdust. I'll check later. Niece is ready to start dinner at the moment ;) I think she's hungry.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Yes, the dust has to be wet down and squeezed out prior to layering.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Okay I thought so. I think it needs to be hardwood sawdust with little oils and smell to it from the sap I'm guessing. The book says hickory and oak, but I have not seen a specific reason for that. I know those trees were common in the region where these books were written though :hu

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Okay I thought so. I think it needs to be hardwood sawdust with little oils and smell to it from the sap I'm guessing. The book says hickory and oak, but I have not seen a specific reason for that. I know those trees were common in the region where these books were written though :hu
Hmmm, maybe I will stick a couple in a bag with the wet dust today, and check them in 3 weeks, when we begin harvest.
If they are off, I will do newspaper again.

Latest posts