storing food in food grade 5 gallon buckets vs mylar bags & o2 absorbe

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have typed in O2 absorbers and have been completely sidetracked by the wealth of information I have read. I need to find an answer to my question before the end of the day... hopefully. :rolleyes:

I have just purchased some bulk food staples and I have poured them into 5 gal food storage buckets. The lids are a pain to open once closed tight so I am storing my bulk purchase for the emergency preparedness shelves and not just pantry stock. My question is how many O2 absorbers in flour, noodles, sugar, pop corn :pop (yes, I bought 50 pounds of it... we will have what won't fit in 5 gal as a side dish for the next 3 months. :lol:) :pop oats etc. I was told that 1 O2 absorber will absorb 1/2 gal of air. That would probably equate to the headspace?? A second one would "treat" the air around the food product in the 5 gal bucket. Do I need to put any food product in mylar bags first?

Thanks for anybody's speedy response. 10 ~ 5 gal pails plus product that I don't have 5 gal pail for are overtaking my dining room!

:caf

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd put 5 per bucket myself. I could be wrong. That could be too much or too little. I wish I had a real answer for you. I don't plan on storing things for years though. Just months, so I don't utilize the 02 thingies.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The lids are a pain to open once closed tight
We purchased one of these so that I can get the lids off of the 5/6 gallon buckets when we are making wine:

Pail Opening Tool

It cost $5.00, but me being able to actually get the lids off is priceless! ;)

Edited to add:

Was spooking around the Lehmans website and they have an even nicer metal bucket opener/hammer tool.

The one that we have is plastic, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it breaks.