Storm Cellar Double as a root Cellar?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Is is possible to use a concrete storm shelter, dug into the ground of course, for a root cellar? Would the conditions be appropriate to store any kind of food in it? I have read a little bit about root cellars on the internet, but haven't found anything yet that mentions it at all. Is this because a storm shelter can't be used for a root cellar?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Does it have controllable ventilation? If so, I don't see why you couldn't do it, as long as you respect its idiosyncrasies of temperature and humidity. I'd think you'd want to minimize what you store in there the first winter, while keeping a max-min thermometer and a well-calibrated hygrometer in there (check 'em periodically) to see what it does and thus what you're likely to be able to store the next year.

Obviously you wouldn't want it so jam-packed with cabbages and such that you and your family couldn't use it for its intended purpose :p

Good luck,

Pat

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Does it have controllable ventilation? If so, I don't see why you couldn't do it, as long as you respect its idiosyncrasies of temperature and humidity. I'd think you'd want to minimize what you store in there the first winter, while keeping a max-min thermometer and a well-calibrated hygrometer in there (check 'em periodically) to see what it does and thus what you're likely to be able to store the next year.

Obviously you wouldn't want it so jam-packed with cabbages and such that you and your family couldn't use it for its intended purpose tongue

Good luck,

Pat
LOL true, true. :D We would only have to worry about it being used for it's intended purposes starting at the earliest March, but that is pretty rare. Mid to late April is when we really have to worry about tornadoes. It does have ventilation. I'm not sure what you mean about controllable ventilation. We have a rotating vent like the kind you see on many houses, but I don't know if the airflow is controllable. Do you know what I should look for to determine if it is controllable? What kinds of temps and humidity readings should I need to see to know if the conditions are right? I don't actually have anything to store in there for now, as I am still creeping into this endeavor, but this would be a great way to feel prepared for next year!

Anyone want to share their experiences with root cellars? I would love to hear first hand experiences. It's so much different than reading bland info on the internet for me.

eggzettra

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It's a hole in ground for pete's sake, your biggest problem is the same as with chickens - predators - rodent control should be you biggest concern. We had one growing up don't remember it being to high - tech - I also lived a dry area - is humidity an issue where you are at?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
[It does have ventilation. I'm not sure what you mean about controllable ventilation.
I just meant "that you can easily shut down somewhat if you have to", e.g. if the temperature in there starts getting too freezy". Like, a vent you can close or a flue you can stuff a sock in or something like that :p

Eggzettra, the reason I mentioned humidity is because some things store best at very high humidity and some things store best at not-very-high humidity and it'd be best to find out which one you have (in a concrete bunker, I'd expect pretty high humidity by late winter early spring, unless you're in a desert) BEFORE putting a whole lot of the wrong kind of stuff in it to raisin-up or rot ;)

Pat

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I should take a picture of it! Just thought of that :rolleyes: LOL I will try to get a pic of it within the next couple of days, including the vent on it.

Edited for clarity

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
We have plenty of humidity in the spring and summer.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used my cellar hatchway as a root cellar last winter, and it worked great! We had to mannage the excessive air flow problem that came around our hatch way doors (bilko doors). We made a big plug by taking a full sheet of OSB (oriented strand board) and notched it to fit over the top of the cement bump out that the stairs for the hatch sits in. We then cut a piece if 2" thick styrofoam insulation to fit adequately into the top of the bump out. We used contact cement to glue the styrofoam insulation to the OSB. We fit this new "plug" into the cement opening. We closed one of the bilko doors and marked the OSB where the door handle would be and cut a 4 inch square of the plug out in this area. This trap door is used to latch the bilco doors from the inside when the big plug is in place. We drilled a hole thru the piece that was cut out for the trap door and strung a rope thru the hole. We then were able to push the trap door up on top of the plug and reach thru to latch or unlatch the bilco door, and then use the rope to pull the trap door back into place to plug that 4 inch hole in the big plug.

In addition to keeping my hard fruits and root veggies from freezing, this large plug now keeps out the drafts that would litterally blow thru my basement from this leaky bilco door and rattle my kitchen/cellar door. My house was also easier to heat with this leak plugged. The total cost of this project was less than $20 and about 5 hours work. Three hours of which were spent planning the project. I will post pictures when we put the plug in, come the middle of October.

Note: I have a regular interior door at the bottom of the stairs in this hatchway, that enters into my cellar. I used a min-max thermometer to decide if I needed to open this interior door a little on those sub zero days. The temperature never got below 33 degrees in that hatch with this plug in place. I, in past years had frozen veggies the first time the temp got in the 20s.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid that my father dug a hole in the ground about 6-7 feet down, put a ladder in it and put a door over the top-wala root cellar. I think they covered it over with an inch of dirt also.
I dont see why it wouldnt work. But the humidity thing is a good point. :/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have read some articles and think I may even have a book somewhere about root cellers. They can be as simple as a hole in the ground with a metal trash can inside. To obviousally much more extravagant. I'll look for the book. G