Storm Cellar Double as a root Cellar?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
My guess is that the apples people are storing in their own cellars are hand-picked carefully, VERY carefully, so as not to bruise them, then brought carefully into the cellar where they are carefully placed in storage.

Ever have to sternly reprimand the check-out kid for slamming your produce on the scale and then throwing it onto the belt for the bagger to slam it into a bag? he Imagine what happens when no one is looking! And how many times that produce is handled and driven over bumpy roads.

And all the scary treatments they do to produce now to make it look pretty for weeks and weeks. Love those green beans that look perfect but are almost hollow inside. Or that big bag of lovely carrots that rots in my fridge in about 3-4 days. Or the avacadoes that are firm when I buy them but in a couple days are black inside. Blech. sickbyc Can't wait to have my root cellar fully stocked! Workin' on it!
I have much to learn grasshoppa! :D I don't even know what all is done to our food. :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The preservatives that they spray on store apples makes my middle son deathly ill and he regurgitates immediately and often until every residue of the apple is gone from his system. We thought washing the apples would help but it doesn't, they have to be peeled. What a relief to have our own orchard now!

We had never stored apples in a cellar before and didn't read up on it, the first year we were here. We just picked up any old apple~lots of them~ and stored them in crates in the cellar. Found out that the cellar was too warm in the early fall to store apples, that any apple that had had any rough treatment rotted very nicely in the cellar, and~truer words were never spoken~one bad apple spoiled the whole crate!

This year will be entirely different. I am saucing, buttering, juicing, cidering, and vinegaring every apple I can lay hands on and picking the actual storage apples by hand~very gently! They will be rinsed in either ACV or the bleach solution and stored in sawdust. I have insulated the cellar and could tell the difference immediately. I'll let you all know the results! ;)

Latest posts