Storm shelter

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
W/nothing around it that could land on it. (Hopefully)
Monday I was finally able to identify a 10' x 20' Sheet of metal roofing that landed in my backyard in our4/16 twister I knew from the size that it had to be commercial, Turns out it was from the roof of our Lowes Hardware store which WAS 5.2 miles from here as the crow flies. More compact items like a car was found 1/4 of a mile from where it was parked.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And, if I'm not mistaken, the Sanford tornado was "only" an EF3; imagine what an EF5 would do! (look at Joplin, MO) :(

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was lead to believe that concrete block construction is a little cheaper than pouring walls.

Having lived through a number of storm scares (in MN) I've decided I need a panic room (storm shelter) that is part of the house. If your shelter is far from the house or not comfortable, you will avoid using it. Several times we have had serious wind storms and tornado risk that required us to overnight in the basement, so it must be habitable. Maybe have a second exit, in case the house collapses.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
And, if I'm not mistaken, the Sanford tornado was "only" an EF3; imagine what an EF5 would do! (look at Joplin, MO) :(
Right it was a EF3. Though my place was fairly undamaged it took 2 guys with a chain saw to cut enough brush to let me out (darn storm doors always open out). But they got all of the meat from my freezer since they had a generator and one look told me it would rot before I ever got power back. In return they fed me hot meals until the power was restored, so it worked out for all of us.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Having lived through a number of storm scares (in MN) I've decided I need a panic room (storm shelter) that is part of the house. If your shelter is far from the house or not comfortable, you will avoid using it. Several times we have had serious wind storms and tornado risk that required us to overnight in the basement, so it must be habitable. Maybe have a second exit, in case the house collapses.
This is our ultimate plan, but we aren't building our house until next year. So we're looking for something fairly inexpensive & fairly simple to construct to get us through. Thanks for all the ideas, folks! DH has been lurking, keeping an eye on the thread, too. :)

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
K15n1....having a 2nd exit a good idea. maybe a tunnel with a hatch type escape door a couple ft above ground level.Maybe have it about twenty ft. or so from the main entrance.If ones blocked, hopefully you can get out of the other exit..!

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
not sure if anyone said this, but some people bury the large ship stacking cargo boxes with a few feet around the out side to reduce the chances of a collase from the box or an earthquake, there are tons of videos on utube.....

it saves in some areas , but dont know how safe they are or if they would survive a tornado sucking on the ground that houses your cargo shelter. they do seem very solid.im sure there are ways to properly ground them to the earth so they dont get sucked up lol.

what u guys think?

it would be very cool to have one of those abandoned missle silos as a bunker lol. some are soo awesome and deep, you could have soo much fun lol..

i heard that some of the deep bunkers are for the rich only incase of some type of serious event in the future.......

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Got a cave on the property? :lol: I dunno a "economical" way to build one really...I'm just going to bury an old van or something with the back doors sticking out for the entrance ;)
My husband was looking over my shoulder on this one. He said you better bury the van on a hill, or it will be full of water.

Noahsark.gif

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
I don't blame you, sounds like a wise idea.I don't know, but would guess a storm shelter would best be made of cement.I don't know if it would be cheaper built of cement blocks or poured like they do alot of house foundations these days..If you have plenty of nice sized field stones laying around the land , you can build it cheaper with them, and just as strong.I've never looked at plans for a storm shelter, but doing it yourself and using rocks/field stones has to save you plenty of money, providing a strong underground shelter, i would think...
DUH if it is so strong, why make it underground? Just askin'

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Lol...~gd....such a silly goose..:) didn't you see all the concrete/brick buidings in the Joplin and north alabama tornado's that were trashed...? Thats why a concrete/rock,whatever shelter is built into the side of a hill or underground.It's because a direct hit can destroy an above ground storm shelter, even built of cement or rocks...

Latest posts