Strange way to crack corn

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had my eyes on a pellet machine a while back. That might be a consideration also, but I can only do so much at one time. Maybe I'll luck out and get one used someday.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We were just trying to grind up some corn yesterday.
For the past month I've been taking the kernels off the cob and smashing them on the
sidewalk with a rock. The chickens wait until I move further down the walk (the noise scares them so I do some then move along) then race in behind me and gobble up everything.
It was really cold out yesterday so we tried the hand grain grinder which turned the kernels to dust
even on the lowest setting,
then we tried the coffee grinder which just bounced the kernels around.
Next was the little food chopper which worked but took forever and I was worried about burning out the motor.

Turns out the original method works best, so after cleaning a counterfull of "gadgets" I put on extra clothing & went outside. Every time I try to be lazy or "save time" it takes so much more effort!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I needed to crack some corn because my keets can't eat whole kernel. I got out the mill, but DH wanted to try something new.......we just got a wood chipper/shreader. He decided to run it through....well, it worked, but there was a cloud of powder all around. Who would have thunk it?
OMG! are you sure we arent related???? it sounds like something my family, (or dh :hide) would try. :lol: