Straw

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Just wondering what ya'll have to pay for straw, if anything, or do you cut your own?

We've been buying it from the local feedstore for $4 a bale. Well, today I decided to check around to see if we could get a better deal. The feedstore in the town next to us (actually it's 11 miles from us) sells theirs for $5.60 a bale! I was like, no way! Not when I am right now paying $4.

So DH calls one of the local farmers he knows. Asks him if he's willing to sell straw to us, and if so how much. He says $3 a bale! :woot So I have switched over. DH and Step dad ran up to his home and they came back with 12 bales, 10 for my mom and 2 for me (I only needed 2 for now). I told DH that for $1 more than what I was paying for 2 bales at the feedstore, I can get 3 bales from this local farmer!

And it's a LOCAL farmer! That makes me so happy! I don't think our local feedstores are getting their bales from local farmers. And the straw I got from this local farmer was thicker straw than what the feed store sold me! So, better quality, less money!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't bought any in a while but I thing it's going for around $6 a bale here. Kinda spendy.

Uncle Butch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am in Cleveland, Ohio and I have to pay $7.00 a bale
I could get it cheaper but with the price of gas it would not save me anything

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
keljonma said:
$2 a bale here in Ashtabula County from a local farmer
OK, you got the best deal! :p I still won't complain saving $1 a bale, though! Years ago local farmers here sold theirs for $2 a bale, but they keep upping it :rolleyes:

Uncle Butch~$7 a bale!! That's crazy! and I thought $5.60 would be expensive OUCH!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
keljonma said:
$2 a bale here in Ashtabula County from a local farmer
OK, you got the best deal! :p I still won't complain saving $1 a bale, though! Years ago local farmers here sold theirs for $2 a bale, but they keep upping it :rolleyes:

Uncle Butch~$7 a bale!! That's crazy! and I thought $5.60 would be expensive OUCH!
We just bought 30 bales the first of October. We were coming home from the Amish bulk store, saw the guy's sign in his driveway, and stopped. He delivered for free......

I'm not saying you didn't get a good deal, QA - you just asked what we were paying.... :p

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Oh, I know you weren't saying that! I am just surprised that there are still $2 bales out there! That was a blessing and I am really happy for you!!! WOOT! :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Eek! I paid about $8 last month at Agway. I'm looking for a new source but I only need one bale at a time.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know what your using the straw for... probably to feed your animals? But I know my lowe's sells pine needles for 3.49 and wheat straw (not good for animals) for 4.11.

Just thought I'd throw those prices out there, even though their probably irrevelant.

Good job Quail! Support your local economy!

Latest posts