Strawberries - permie/companion planting

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Y'all have inspired me with pictures of flowers in the garden. I am turning a garden into strawberry bed.

My aspiration is a densely planted weed-free garden that is functional and beautiful.

I have some welsh red onion (perennial onion) set in there, might leave it there, might not.

What would you tuck in there?

Attachments

• IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 391

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Size? Probably 4 or 5 foot diameter. It's a kiddie pool! DH shot holes in the bottom. I was doing okay poking holes with a nail, but it was tedious and DH wanted to have some fun. It retains just the right amount of moisture and has ended up to be very nice garden. The plastic edge exposed to sunlight was breaking down, so I cut it off and added the leftover landscape block this year.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Internet articles say:

Don't plant strawberries with
Brassica family
Nightshade family
Rose
Mint
Chrysanthemum
Melon

Do plant with
Thyme
Onion
Asparagus
Lettuce and Spinach
Catnip
Borage
Basil
Marigold

:caf

Companion planting lists are so overwhelming!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a good idea! I'm going to copy it! We have an old kiddie pool the ducks used (when we had ducks) and I know what I'm doing with it now!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Update:

I left the onions and stray asparagus. I walked the driveway and dug out wild strawberries. I was expecting short little "alpine" type strawberries, but was surprised these were mostly tall. I wonder if they're a wild type at all.

I split and moved clematis. This one was't rooted in the ground, but between landscape plastic and rock. The roots didn't get damaged, but the vines got ripped up. I hope it transplants okay.

I still have 25 strawberry plants on the way. I want to plant it densely, but it feels wrong!

I put wood chip mulch on thinly since I was worried about suffocating their crowns.

Attachments

• IMG_2399.JPG
    IMG_2399.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 416

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Strawberries are good. I could never have too much onion so I would probably leave it. Have you thought about adding a large pot in the center for a tiered look or a birdbath. What a beautiful design feature you used to repurpose the pool. We actually have a pool too. I couldn't make it into a permanent feature because we rent but I could use it for a planting bed. Thank's for sharing with us. Kudos!:thumbsup

Latest posts