Stray cat in our barn with our male cats. What are the chances it is male also?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have 4 male cats living in our barn. The are 2 years old and litter mates. We had their mother spayed and then she disappeared 3 months later - so we will not waste the money to do that again.

Recently, I have been seeing a new cat hanging out in our barn, it is about 1/2 the size of our cats and looks almost exactly like one of them. The litter of kittens we currently have had 3 black and white, a orange tabby (orange on orange striped) and a long haired orange cat with white blaze and white socks. This kitten is also a long haired orange with white blaze and white socks - almost identical to our Socks. Obviously the same father or our Socks is the daddy.
Our existing cats tolerate this little cat, which is making me worried that it is a female.

Question: any chance that this is a immature male cat and everything will remain calm and friendly between them or do you think this is a young female and when she goes in heat my cats will be fighting over her?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well ain't but one way I know for find out for sure, if this cat is male or female. I don't think I need to explain any further. My guess it's a female, I have a 50/50 chance I'm right. It's easy with animals, where it gets complicated for me, is with humans.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The problem is getting my hands on the little stinker. I may have to resort to live trapping it.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She sounds pretty, and may be able to rehome her. Orange/blonde cats are the most affectionate.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am hoping for a male kitty, then he can stay. A female will have to find a new home.
Hoping that since both of the other cats that look like this are male, that this kitten is male also.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am hoping for a male kitty, then he can stay. A female will have to find a new home.
Hoping that since both of the other cats that look like this are male, that this kitten is male also.
I left the barn door open after my wife spoiled my hunting dog and a family of racoons moved in. I had to get my hunting dog off his bed and put him to work. He gladly vacated the family of racoons for me.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Both parents have to carry orange for a daughter to be orange, while only one is needed for a son to be orange. Higher likelihood that it's a boy. If there's a mom-cat around that is calico or orange it could still be female though. Only way to know for sure is to catch it.

I have an orange female cat, her mom was calico and dad was orange. The rest of the litter were orange males and a few calico females.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm guessing that it's a young male... based on statistical probability.

Only about 1 in 5 orange tabby cats is female. Scientists and researchers are fairly certain that orange tabbies' color transpires from a sex-linked gene, with the X chromosome responsible for the orange coloring.
I sure hope you are right. I am kinda getting attached to the little guy. No touching yet, but the little beast no longer runs for the hills when it sees me. I can talk to it and it will just sit there and stare at me.