Stray cat in our barn with our male cats. What are the chances it is male also?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Both parents have to carry orange for a daughter to be orange, while only one is needed for a son to be orange. Higher likelihood that it's a boy. If there's a mom-cat around that is calico or orange it could still be female though. Only way to know for sure is to catch it.

I have an orange female cat, her mom was calico and dad was orange. The rest of the litter were orange males and a few calico females.
Thanks for a more thorough explanation of the genetics. I find genetics to be absolutely fascinating.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sure hope you are right. I am kinda getting attached to the little guy. No touching yet, but the little beast no longer runs for the hills when it sees me. I can talk to it and it will just sit there and stare at me.

Well that's a start to trying to catching a wildcat. Wildcats, are cats that are wild 😜

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for a more thorough explanation of the genetics. I find genetics to be absolutely fascinating.
My cousin is a vet and she has a ton of info on most animal topics. Statistically nearly all calicos are female, the extremely rare calico that is male is usually sterile even without being neutered. Genetics is a fun thing to learn about.

Latest posts