Sttttttrrrreeettcch IT...

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am wondering if we would like to share some get by strategies...that have helped you get through, or make things last longer...getting the most out of your dollar...

Mine.....slice sos steal pads in half....not only do I have twice as many...but often that is all I need for the job,

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Thanksgiving was the first time in ages that we have had an actual piece of meat and side dishes. Unless you count spam and I'd rather not! I always make casseroles or beans and rice with a little meat mixed in for flavor. Makes whatever meat we have go much further!

I have one of those little coffee makers like in a motel room--makes 2 large or 4 small cups. When I use it I put 2 scoops of coffee and fill with water. The next time I ADD one more scoop of coffee and fill with water. Then I start over. It stretches my coffee and tastes fine to me!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know where to start...:D

I use an autobody scuff pad instead of steel wool pads. I cut it in fourths - one piece will last literally months, rinses clean. I think they sell the small green scuff pads in the detergent aisle of the grocery store, but the maroon automotive ones are coarser and will last longer.

I get flat mean if DH dumps cold coffee down the drain! :lol: Most of the time I try to get it in the carafe right away, but... So the next morning after I make a fresh pot, I gradually add the cold brew to it and he's never noticed. Plenty of times I have added another scoop of coffee to the grounds and made another 8 cups. It's a 12 cup pot and I usually start w/ three really full scoops. AKA recycled coffee grounds.

I started using whey that was frozen in ice cube trays in place of buttermilk for biscuits, breads, pancakes, etc.

Didn't someone here say they did yoga chicken? Nothing is wasted from a whole chicken. I'll cut up the meat into meal size portions, some for stir fry or BBQ chicken pizza, soups, whatever. Bony pieces make stock for cooking. Then the thighs are processed into cat food (I have an old cat with food allergies). Then the bones and legs, backs, wings are made into bone broth and dog food. (DH doesn't care for legs and wings and I'm flat lousy at making fried chicken.) A lot of the time I'll just simmer the bony pieces to get all the meat off of them and freeze it for chicken and noodles, soups, etc and then freeze the bones until I have enough to do a pot of bone broth.

DS#1 is here on an extended visit. He doesn't like my homemade laundry soap, so DH bought a box of Tide. When there was enough room in the box, I added borax and washing soda. Mixed it up and no one has noticed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
DS#1 is here on an extended visit. He doesn't like my homemade laundry soap, so DH bought a box of Tide. When there was enough room in the box, I added borax and washing soda. Mixed it up and no one has noticed.
:clap -- you had me laughing cause I do this 2 hubby and kid all the time. They swear it must be X brand or they will die. Well then I buy another brand and put it in the box. NOT one ever notices! Funny as heck. :smack to them and their brand loyalty. heck they can never find the differences so it must be all in the mind! :)

There are days I can stretch a dollar so far, and other days the dollars seem to disappear and I swear I hardly bought anything.

Stretch a dollar:

be sure you have your electricity under control. Lights off, CFLs, power strips control phantom loads, use less dryer when you can, use cold water washing mostly. Do a walk thru of your home. WHAT uses power and how can you save.

What I am going to do now is turn off the hot water heater from the breaker for a few hours per day. Why not? Might save alot. I will see.
I have our family schedule. When AM showers are done and my need for AM hot water is over, I will turn off hot water heater til early/late evening. (I will chat about this in my journal)

Food is one of the best ways to stretch a buck. Like everyone said, less meat, more veggies and casserole type situations. Grow your own, preserve/can your own, freeze bulk items etc. Use coupons with sales on items. (I have been saving the 60-70% on all grocery bills)

Buy used wherever you can. In fact Lori just said she got about $150 of toys at a consignment shop for $45. Now that is a killer savings.
can be done with many items needed.

hope some of that helps :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If you raise meat animals, save all useable parts. We killed some of my meat chickens a few weeks ago. We saved all of the good cuts, like wings, breasts, legs thighs, and liver to fry. Then the back, neck, and a few other were put in bags to make into broth one day.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I also stretch milk with dry milk (half and half) and use it a lot-(by itself) for cooking, just don't tell dh! I am going to make yogurt with it tomorrow!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
snapshot you can also add a little water to whole milk. Nobody ever notices, it eventually will taste more like 2%, but you can stretch it that way for an extra quart or so per gallon at least. I've done this for a while, because I have a bunch of serious milk drinkers around here sometimes. One day they won't want any, and the next they'll drink four glasses :/ I hate going to the store, so I stretch it :lol:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I use an autobody scuff pad instead of steel wool pads. I cut it in fourths - one piece will last literally months, rinses clean. I think they sell the small green scuff pads in the detergent aisle of the grocery store, but the maroon automotive ones are coarser and will last longer.
As the man of the house, I do a lot of the dishes. By hand, of course - no dishwasher. I agree with you about these auto-body scrubbers. They're tough, durable, and scour better than what's sold in the supermarket kitchen aisle. And when new, they're completely clean, of course. And they can be cut into smaller sections - use one now, discard when finally worn out, then use another.

Marianne said:
I get flat mean if DH dumps cold coffee down the drain! :lol: Most of the time I try to get it in the carafe right away, but... So the next morning after I make a fresh pot, I gradually add the cold brew to it and he's never noticed.
Yeah, don't throw that cold coffee away. Just thought I'd mention that we've often benefitted, flavor-wise, from adding a half cup to one full cup of cold coffee to a pot of soup in the making (talking about soup made in either a two-quart to four-quart soup pot - but could probably use more than a cup at a time with a larger pot). It actually enhances the 'back flavors' of soups like Mexican tortilla soup, or Russian borscht. This may be a little-known secret, but it adds something in the same way that using herbs adds something.;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
snapshot said:
I also stretch milk with dry milk (half and half) and use it a lot-(by itself) for cooking, just don't tell dh! I am going to make yogurt with it tomorrow!
dry milk would be a great space saver for you. I know our TT refrig. is never big enough.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Oh no kidding! Have you made yogurt with dry milk before? Though, around here, dry milk is more expensive than fluid... :hu

I also use it for cooking. I hate making the trip to town just because we're low on milk. According to DH, when we're down to a half gallon, we're seriously low. :lol: