Stud Servicing Goats

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am looking for just such a service for my girls. I live in a populated area and having a smelly buck is out of the question.
I expect to be asked and possibly having to verify the good health of my goats and I would like to know the same about the buck. It seems to me, that people would not want to spread diseases, nor would they want their goats to catch soemthing. I know I am going to do what I can to keep my goats healthy.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The only sheep folks I could find around here who would be willing to do stud service (and the disease situation with sheep is similar to goats') will ONLY do it for people who a) bought their ewes from the ram owner's flock AND b) have no other goats or sheep on their property. The idea being that the females being bred have (hopefully) not been exposed to anything that the ram's flock isn't already carrying.

I do not know how widespread this attitude is.

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My sil has a boar/nubian buck, who is nearing the end of his life. He is close to 12 years old, and time is the only thing that has been hard on him.

For the last (excluding this past fall) 10 years, he has provided stud service to a petting zoo. My sil would bring him to the petting zoo and leave him there for about a month, then he would come home. I don't know about the health if the animals at the zoo, but Grunt (the goat)always came back healthy and happy, and sil didn't have to put up with too much stink, although, maybe she and i are weird, but we don't find the stink all that bad.

Next year I am going to have to get my sheep bred. Hopefully I will be able to find someone who will provide stud service for me. I like the idea.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i think its a good idea myself some people just make it sound like all goat herds all desise fest and people just breed rampintly to ever they can find Common sense tells me to ask questions on were they got the goat is it healthy to look at it first and so on I dont think most small time people who have a few pets for their children for 4h are not just gonna go out and get unhealthy goats and breed them to any trash heap thats the kinda costomers i want is small time people who want the does bred but dont have desire to own a buck not like im runin a whore house were every one their brother and cousin are in and out everyday all day breeding my bucks

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Say! What's wrong with a whore house!

I tease!

The thing is, if you are doing a drive-way breeding, there are very little diseases that are transmitted anyway. Obviously if an animal has an open CL cyst, that would be a problem and would be a big red NO to begin with. Also if both the buck and the doe have open fresh bloody wounds that could possible transmit CAE, or if he is extremely rough and something tears.
Otherwise the other issue is a few rare, mostly treatable STDs.

If there are no open wounds, no oozing CL cysts, and the animal is otherwise healthy, no signs of infection, etc. you shouldn't have any problems.

If you are NOT doing a driveway breeding, and keeping the doe at your place, I would really suggest having a specific pen for the doe, and when you see her in heat, to bring your buck to her for a couple minutes to get the deed done. They really don't mind an audience. Lol. But that way it would help ensure your bucks do not get a disease.

Also do not expect every breeding to 'take'; you might have people coming back to have an animal bred that came into heat after being with your buck, so you would need to price accordingly.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I borrow a ram from my original breeder and this works fine. We both trust each other's flocks.

I must admit that I would be careful about my ram selection if I were getting it anywhere else. I'd have to see recent certificates of health from their vet before I'd let him trounce the gals. If I were just buying him outright, I'd look at the general health and upkeep of his flock and use my best judgement.

It appears that many backyard goat owners really need a stud service like this and it might very well be worth keeping some stud goats as a small money maker. At least it would help pay for their keep.

I would keep my stud goats in prime health and great living conditions, clean and aesthetically pleasing to look upon, if I were doing this for an income.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I ever breed my girls, it will be to someone else's buck. I don't own one, and have no desire to. Nor do I think the neighbor's would appreciate it. Only problem being, I wouldn't have a clue as how to go about finding a stud. So, a service like what your planning would be something I'd be interested in.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
If I ever breed my girls, it will be to someone else's buck. I don't own one, and have no desire to. Nor do I think the neighbor's would appreciate it. Only problem being, I wouldn't have a clue as how to go about finding a stud. So, a service like what your planning would be something I'd be interested in.
You're in NJ right? I'm on the Eastern Shore of MD. I have a nice Oberhasli buck kid for sale. ;)

I never thought that I would have a hard time selling an Ober buck because they're not very common around here....but I guess nobody needs to buy an Ober buck when they don't have any Ober does to breed them to. :/

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I had to buy a stud of the correct breed just to get my does their first freshening. My only other option was driving four hours each way and paying over 200 dollars for a show stud (and my goats are mixes). We are still breathing a sigh of relief that he sold.

I would not be using stud services too often of course, but I could not be the only backyard goat person who just wants their does freshened and doesn't want to own bucks. Don't let anyone discourage you. Goat people can be opinionated is all and just remember that old line, you can't please all the people all the time. It seems like with goats, people can tend to disagree. I think it is because there is more than one way to raise them that works.

I'll get off my soap box now.:rant

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
not like im runin a whore house were every one their brother and cousin are in and out everyday all day breeding my bucks
*snort* ha ha ha ha you said it!

when this subject came up before we were laughing ourselves silly about how i was gonna just drive by, slow down, and shove poor Nibbles out on a street corner by a crack house and wish her luck.

HA!

one of the breeders i use has professional herd - he's a big deal judge in these parts and well respected. the other one i use has been part of a family farming operation thats been going on for 100 years. i'm guessing these folks know what they are doing.

Goat people can be opinionated
hey - does that mean goat people are.... stubborn as old goats!?!? ha ha ha ha!
:)