Stud Servicing Goats

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Maybe that is what kind of personality it takes to deal with goats!

Personally I think the most important factor is the sense of humor!:lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
a sense of humor and the ability to run after a goat yelling "hey you get that off your head! what are you DOING!?!?!"

ha!

goats = crazy
;-)

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
now i need to decied on breeds to get people around here seem to have it all their are rarely goats for sale on craigslist a few in the free ad paper their is never any fainting goats a quite a few pygmys and nigerian goats and a mixed batch of dairy breeds but everyone and their brother and sister own boar goats so i have no desire to own them as around here the worming medication has no affect to boar goats and parasites are becoming a big issue with them any of you have any ideas?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BirchHatchery said:
now i need to decied on breeds to get people around here seem to have it all their are rarely goats for sale on craigslist a few in the free ad paper their is never any fainting goats a quite a few pygmys and nigerian goats and a mixed batch of dairy breeds but everyone and their brother and sister own boar goats so i have no desire to own them as around here the worming medication has no affect to boar goats and parasites are becoming a big issue with them any of you have any ideas?
Why not advertise on craigslist saying you are going to offer stud service next year (or this year even) and who might be interested and what breeds? That would give you an idea. And a lot of opinionated people, but you could simply hit delete on those emails. List the breeds you are considering, and include "dairy-type hybrid" and "meat-type hybrid" and "pygmy or nigerian" in your choices.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You are always full of good ideas, Free!

Psssssssssssssssssst...Bird Hatchery, she is a good one to listen to. She helped me through my whole process so far...when I was selling my stud, she told me to be more patient and keep running my ad and sure enough, he sold a few weeks later. As I was being handed my money (the same amount I paid for him) I was thinking about running in and telling Free. I had to restrain myself until the buyers were gone.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
You are always full of good ideas, Free!

Psssssssssssssssssst...Bird Hatchery, she is a good one to listen to. She helped me through my whole process so far...when I was selling my stud, she told me to be more patient and keep running my ad and sure enough, he sold a few weeks later. As I was being handed my money (the same amount I paid for him) I was thinking about running in and telling Free. I had to restrain myself until the buyers were gone.
Aww, shucks! ***blushing***

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm one who is more leery about studding, although, I need to. I just need to learn more so I do it right. Let me explain.

My young son purchased some Toggenburg dairy goats to learn and show for 4H. We unexpectedly moved just a few months later. The nutty woman 'in charge' of our last county's 4H created a committee consisting of non-animal project people and 4H parents who already owned land (ie - they're rich and their kids can have all the animals they want) to create blanket rules for every 4H ranch in the county. They banned male animals. :th There went every breeding project. All those land owners suddenly cornered the market on studs and new stock. :barnie

I heard about this and just could not believe it. So, being in a neighboring county, loving 4H kids, having land, and needing to find a buck for my own child's small herd, I bought the very nice Toggenburg buck that had been at the 4H ranch my children used to keep their animals at. I let a few 4H parents know that I wanted to make the buck available to their children to use so they would not have to drive 4 hours (and back)and pay a small fortune to breed their does.

So, this thread is very interesting to me. I am going to pay to get my buck and my son's does tested for commonly transmittable diseases before letting other does come here for breeding. I expect others to bring a vet's bill of health before breeding. Is that not reasonable? I'm pretty sure it will only cost the owner of the doe $30. $50 for stud here is incredibly low but even if I asked the low price of $70, that would still be just $100 for the ability to have 1 - 3 quality kids, milk for at least 9 months, and a doe ready to show at the fair. Not bad, I think.

I have friends who raise and show dogs. Dog people would NEVER consider studding without health gaurantees from both parties. It's just not done.

I raise and show rabbits. I won't stud rabbits. It's just asking for trouble. I've bought STDs TWICE. :he It suuuucks to treat that - must be very exact and treatment takes one full month. I WILL NOT STUD rabbits. Period. It's sooo not worth it for me. I've worked very hard with my herd. If you want my quality, you gotta buy the cow. :bun It's not that expensive. :rolleyes:

So, that's my background/experience. What are your thoughts on asking for a clean bill of health? Is it really too much to ask?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do not think it is too much to ask for a health certificate and maybe even proof that they are tested for CAE, CL and Johnes. If your buck gets sick from someone else's doe, then you are out of business. It would be terrible to have some sort of disease go through your herd because you did outside breeding. In the alpaca business, they ask for health certificates and also a negative BVD test.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I do not think it is too much to ask for a health certificate and maybe even proof that they are tested for CAE, CL and Johnes. If your buck gets sick from someone else's doe, then you are out of business. It would be terrible to have some sort of disease go through your herd because you did outside breeding. In the alpaca business, they ask for health certificates and also a negative BVD test.
Okay. Thank you. This is what I was looking for - a list of tests that should be done. Heck, if they came to me with good health documentation/tests, I'd let the 4H kids breed to this buck for that and a Slurpee. :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey K!

glad you chimed in.. please feel free to give your why's and wherefore's.. we'd love to hear all sides. i think there are enough new folks that the info would be appreciated.

:)