Study Links Soda Consumption to Pancreatic Cancer

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
There is a brand of soda made with Stevia. You can get it at vitamin cottage. It's pretty good. Can't remember the name though. Duh!
I know there is one called Zevia. I bought one for my DH and he said it was good. I didn't try it myself. Can only find it at our local Health Food Store here though and it's pricey.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
claud said:
I would guess the link is more likely because of the general lifestyle than the soda itself. Not to say the study is not worth something. Most studies start small like this and it's really difficult to eliminate the lifestyle factor unless you'd control peoples entire diet for 40 years or so - not likely. Mostly they are based on the person's own account of their diet - and that's worth something too.

Alcohol consumption has been directly linked to pancreatic cancer for some time however.

I've known a couple of people that have had pancreatic cancer, one of which was my dad. My dad never drank soda.
I completely agree that lifestyle in general is going to play a part. But that does not change the fact that soda consumption is linked to disease.

Where most of us get off track is by dismissing it, as you just did with " I've known a couple of people that have had pancreatic cancer, one of which was my dad. My dad never drank soda."

As I said before, it is not up the THEM to prove t, it is up to us to take the HINTS and make our own changes.

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dace said:
claud said:
I would guess the link is more likely because of the general lifestyle than the soda itself. Not to say the study is not worth something. Most studies start small like this and it's really difficult to eliminate the lifestyle factor unless you'd control peoples entire diet for 40 years or so - not likely. Mostly they are based on the person's own account of their diet - and that's worth something too.

Alcohol consumption has been directly linked to pancreatic cancer for some time however.

I've known a couple of people that have had pancreatic cancer, one of which was my dad. My dad never drank soda.
I completely agree that lifestyle in general is going to play a part. But that does not change the fact that soda consumption is linked to disease.

Where most of us get off track is by dismissing it, as you just did with " I've known a couple of people that have had pancreatic cancer, one of which was my dad. My dad never drank soda."

As I said before, it is not up the THEM to prove t, it is up to us to take the HINTS and make our own changes.
I didn't dismiss it at all. I'm just pointing out the fact that this research is not definitive. We all know that soda is not a health food. We should ALL be proactive with our health but definitive research is needed so we have the power to change things in public health. It's not all about us.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I'm just pointing out the fact that this research is not definitive.
You bring up an interesting point. The dietary changes America in general has recently made were done on RESEARCH THAT WASN'T DEFINITIVE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Yup, we did a 180 on the food we eat and the way we eat them in the last 40 years. The whole "saturated fat makes your heart 'asplode" idea was based on 1...ONE...very flawed incomplete study.

The "lets eat more fiber that will fix everything" concept was also based on an unproven hypothesis by one guy.

The rationale that hfcs is OK because it is made of corn is another idea with no basis in reality. The creation of hfcs from corn is about as natural as a plastic lawn ornament...and the ornament probably has a lower mercury content (yes..they are finding mercury in hfcs. Give it a google :D ).

I would love more research, but the deck is seriously stacked against anyone who goes against the mainstream consensus that fat is bad, hfcs is perfectly fine, we need to base our diet on grains, meat gives you cancer, etc...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, for me, there is plenty of research that proves that a diet high in refined sugars and grains and fats (as in trans fats and refined veg oils) is bad, bad, bad for your health. I don't need yet another study about any particular type of cancer to prove it to me, since all the previous studies were enough to remove all those things from my diet. I will have a cookie (rarely) at someone's house, but I never purchase such things anymore.

There generally is not just ONE cause for certain diseases. My grandfather smoked into his 80's but that doesn't mean smoking will lead to longevity!

As for soda and pancreatic cancer....there are very likely other factors in the diets of the soda drinkers as well. When I was drinking soda, I was eating margarine and Crisco, sugar in excess, as much white flour as I could stuff into my mouth....and I had trouble keeping weight on my skinny bones.

I hope the damage is at least somewhat reversable....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well as a Coke addict I am here to say, so what. ;)

Maybe it causes cancer. Maybe it doesn't. I DO know that filling my body with all of that sugar, empty calories, man made colors and glop, slurping down literally gallons of carbonation and other stuff is bad, BAD, BAD!!

Without a doubt it is the most awful thing that I do to my body. I don't smoke and never have, don't do any drugs and never have, very very seldom drink any alcohol and when I do only one or two drinks at the very very most. I eat right, exercise or at least do physical work most of the time. Pop is going to be what finally kills me most likely. It definitely makes me fat. Does it cause cancer? Who knows.

Still I will only drink real soda never diet. At least the sugars in those are less man made than the "nutra-feet". That said I am trying to drink more water and herb tea, but right now THIS minute I really need a Coke! :p :hide

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Well as a Coke addict I am here to say, so what. ;)

Maybe it causes cancer. Maybe it doesn't. I DO know that filling my body with all of that sugar, empty calories, man made colors and glop, slurping down literally gallons of carbonation and other stuff is bad, BAD, BAD!!

Without a doubt it is the most awful thing that I do to my body. I don't smoke and never have, don't do any drugs and never have, very very seldom drink any alcohol and when I do only one or two drinks at the very very most. I eat right, exercise or at least do physical work most of the time. Pop is going to be what finally kills me most likely. It definitely makes me fat. Does it cause cancer? Who knows.

Still I will only drink real soda never diet. At least the sugars in those are less man made than the "nutra-feet". That said I am trying to drink more water and herb tea, but right now THIS minute I really need a Coke! :p :hide
LOL. We gotta choose our battles don't we? If you're doing everything else right and Coke is your only vise I'd say you've got pretty good odds.

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Well, for me, there is plenty of research that proves that a diet high in refined sugars and grains and fats (as in trans fats and refined veg oils) is bad, bad, bad for your health. I don't need yet another study about any particular type of cancer to prove it to me, since all the previous studies were enough to remove all those things from my diet. I will have a cookie (rarely) at someone's house, but I never purchase such things anymore.

You got it! And you are absolutely right to keep those tempting things out of your house - we're all human after all!

There generally is not just ONE cause for certain diseases. My grandfather smoked into his 80's but that doesn't mean smoking will lead to longevity!

As for soda and pancreatic cancer....there are very likely other factors in the diets of the soda drinkers as well. When I was drinking soda, I was eating margarine and Crisco, sugar in excess, as much white flour as I could stuff into my mouth....and I had trouble keeping weight on my skinny bones.

I hope the damage is at least somewhat reversable....
I think it is somewhat reversible. You're on the right track.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with making an informed decision to take a risk. Sadly, many are not informed.