Stuff you had no clue was edible...

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alrighty now, watch it. You're talking about some gross stuff there, dear M&TG. :lol:

I feel so special! :D
Now that we've got that taste test behind us, what else is edible? Somebody else gets the dare this time though!!
The queen ann's lace I'd always heard was inedible and would make you sick, maybe they got it confused with the hemlocks?

How about dead nettle? The flowers make a tasty tea or kombucha blend, the plant tops are a good green veggie in soups.
http://www.flowersgallery.net/gallery/red-deadnettle/red-deadnettle-5.jpg

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ok, I'll get serious. I'll also admit to not reading the whole thread, but some things new to us include sumac for sumac tea, nettles for soup, Jerusalem artichoke roots, dock greens and dandelion greens (although everyone knows they're edible :))

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The sap from a sycamore tree can be tapped all year around, and is an emergency water source.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I tasted purslane, dandelion and plantain (herb kind). I prefer the dandelion and plantain in a tonic (soak in raw ACV). The purslane is good in salads. You just have to be careful not to confuse the purslane with spurge :D

bjmstahl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've eaten purslane and I've made dandelion wine. I liked both of them. Would like to get more adventurous (but not rolly polly adventurous).

I also like to watch the videos "Eat the weeds" on YouTube.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
My dinner tonight consist of sauteed dandelion tops with sesame seeds, steamed kelp and baby deer. The one DD#1 hit. I figured that the fam needed a meal that was harvested by me. Oh, yeah, some frozen green beans from last summer. The only "normal" thing.

Told DH about the roly-polies. He was down. I don't know if I can eat a bug. Who knows, might have to one day.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ewwwww ewwww ewwwwww. You *didn't*. ewwwwww!

ETA: rolly polly bugs?! ewwwwwww!

Latest posts