Stupid Thieves!!!!!!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what military papers you had, but you can get replacements - even though it really is a pain in the butt and lots of red tape. Like if it's his service record, probably a DD214, if you have the right information you can start the process to get new copies.

Try googling replacement replacing military service records and you should have at least a start.

Sorry this happened to you.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have watched this since the mid-1970's. It is insidious and malignant.

If you don't agree or want to believe it, that is fine. But then when something like this happens most folks simply imagine it is the effort of a few whacked-out drug addicts and is a random act. I am one who has the firm belief that it is not only NOT random but deliberate and insidious.
Yup Yup and Yup!

Sorry this is written in such a "dark tone" but "To be forewarned is to be forearmed."
If you turn out to be wrong and someone prepared, what harm is done? None. If they blow off this advice and you are right???

becky3086

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am not unsympathetic but reading this all I could think about was if you live by a "projects" and an apartment complex and "undesirables" are always cutting through your neighborhood, why in the world would you leave an ipod, money and those papers in your car?
I live way out in the country, car sits unlocked right in front of the porch, big dog is in the yard, and I am still not going to leave anything valuable in the car.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
becky3086 said:
I am not unsympathetic but reading this all I could think about was if you live by a "projects" and an apartment complex and "undesirables" are always cutting through your neighborhood, why in the world would you leave an ipod, money and those papers in your car?
I live way out in the country, car sits unlocked right in front of the porch, big dog is in the yard, and I am still not going to leave anything valuable in the car.
Good for you for being so vigilant! Life happens sometimes and things get accidentally left in vehicles and doors are left unlocked. That's what is wrong in the world today - victims are made to feel guilty for not locking up every single one their belongings like Fort Knox and "tempting" the bad guys.

Anyway, update... we did call and make a report, an officer came out and dusted for prints (I think they were able to get one from my husbands truck). My husband has walked the whole neighborhood looking for the paperwork they might have dumped, but nothing. And a detective called just a few minutes ago to see if we have noticed anything else missing besides what we reported. So that was nice, at least they followed up.

We kind of have a suspicion about who might have done it. One of our neighbors had a whole houseful of visitors that stayed for a few weeks that included a few teenagers. The next morning after the theft, they were gone. Staying here that long, they would have known about all the big dogs and the security light one of our neighbors has (that lights up our driveway too if it gets activated). The cop also told my husband that he would bet it was teenagers based on what they stole (and didn't steal). Still weird they took the folder, but who knows what they thought it might contain.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
While few people yet believe we are being infiltrated by folks of other countries posing as "migrant workers" and a variety of other imposter like things, they have an agenda....

We have an ever increasing number of people who are actively draining our national resources from within, either as illegal aliens or posing as such....

...I am one who has the firm belief that it is not only NOT random but deliberate and insidious.
Yes, that is what I am afraid of, too. Dark times ahead, folks. :(

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
JRmom said:
becky3086 said:
Good for you for being so vigilant! Life happens sometimes and things get accidentally left in vehicles and doors are left unlocked. That's what is wrong in the world today - victims are made to feel guilty for not locking up every single one their belongings like Fort Knox and "tempting" the bad guys.

Anyway, update... we did call and make a report, an officer came out and dusted for prints (I think they were able to get one from my husbands truck). My husband has walked the whole neighborhood looking for the paperwork they might have dumped, but nothing. And a detective called just a few minutes ago to see if we have noticed anything else missing besides what we reported. So that was nice, at least they followed up.

We kind of have a suspicion about who might have done it. One of our neighbors had a whole houseful of visitors that stayed for a few weeks that included a few teenagers. The next morning after the theft, they were gone. Staying here that long, they would have known about all the big dogs and the security light one of our neighbors has (that lights up our driveway too if it gets activated). The cop also told my husband that he would bet it was teenagers based on what they stole (and didn't steal). Still weird they took the folder, but who knows what they thought it might contain.
Exactly what I was thinking... Kids don't care about tools really. Adults generally wouldn't care about "musical devices" as much as they would tools. That's just a generalization, but I was thinking teenagers after hearing what was stolen as well. We had a few things stolen from our garage while on vacation a few years back. A 4-wheeler and the CAP to a gas can. Not the whole gas can, but just the cap, lol. Nothing was ever returned, nobody was ever busted. Now my dad locks everything up if he's not home.
But, yes, most people don't expect to have some moron break into their things. I personally wouldn't think about stuff sitting out for the most part (I don't leave cards or cash in plain sight, or expensive items, such as if I take my laptop somewhere), but something like cd's or whatever, I wouldn't even think about hiding them. I guess I don't think like a criminal. I don't check to see what other people have laying around in their cars, so I guess I assume nobody else does either. :/

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
While I don't doubt there could be things more sinister afoot, when this happened to us, it was proven to be teenagers from just a few houses away. We thought we lived in a nice little "oasis" too, moved here to WA from Los Angeles so it sure felt like it. We learned there are bad people all over, just fewer people equals fewer bad people IMHO.

The police did make us feel we were silly to have left anything valuable in the car unlocked (in our case, it was change from the ashtray, leather gloves and a real nice flashlight was all they got). Even though the total was small, we made the police report and later learned it was part of an overall pattern that eventually led to the arrest of our neighbor's child. He had also been entering homes through hopping over the fence but our big dogs kept him from trying that.

We became part of a neighborhood watch group to fight back, we lock our doors and still have big dogs. It is sad that we feel we have to lock our doors, but we no longer believe there are any nice "oasis". And we like the big dogs. :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As far as unlocked property goes... I'd much rather have someone steal my stuff than break a window out and then steal it. Insurance should still cover your goods, they'll still have the same chance of catching the criminal, but you don't have the inconvenience of cleaning glass out of your house/car and having to deal with a missing window or missing car for the day or so it'll take to get it fixed. :/

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most of our neighbors are really great (and nosy!) so we all keep an eye out... it helps that I'm home all day and see who is walking through and what is going on. I've seen a few people walk down to our end of the road (an obvious dead end) and just stand there looking. Time to turn the dogs out and encourage their barking! :D

ETA: I totally agree about leaving the cars unlocked and not having to deal with broken glass! Just need to get hubby to remember to bring in the valuables. Really, he's usually pretty good about it. As I said, life happens sometimes.

Latest posts