Such a shame or is that sham?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok so our refrigerator went out. Symptom was is stopped cooling. Well we need a refrigerator so I went out right away and bought a new one. The kind delivery guys offered to take the old one away for free. I said no put it my shop I want to have a look at it and see if I can fix it. If I can't fix it then I'll take it to the scrap yard and get 10 to 15 dollars for it.

So today I plugged it in and it worked as normal (freezer & refrigerator both got cold). I'm scratching my head... So i.unplugged it took the back panel off and plugged it back in. Sure enough the compressor kicked in but the compressor fan that keeps the compressor cool was not running at all. So I unplugged the compressor fan and measured the voltage at the plug, yep it's getting 115 volts AC. Then I measured continuity across the coil of the compressor fan motor. No continuity, so the coil must have burned up in the fan motor.

I went out to Sears found the part number for the kenmore model of the refrigerator and the compressor fan motor part number. I looks at the price of the fan motor and about fell out of my chair.
Screenshot_2018-12-08-12-51-20.png

Then I went out to fleabay, searched the part number and sorted on new and lowest price including shipping and this popped up.
Screenshot_2018-12-08-12-52-18.png

Needless to say I don't need to tell you where I ordered the fan motor from.

This is the reason Sears is having such a hard time and is just about out of business. Plus, you still have to pay tax and shipping from Sears. I mean the price difference isn't even close at all. So I guess it's a shame! But also could be a sham! Whichever it is, momma didn't raise no fool.

Anyways, with the fan not spinning to cool the compressor, it tripped the overheated temperature sensor on the compressor and shut the unit down. Unplugging it and allowing the compressor to cool off reset the overheated temperature sensor, that's why it started running again when I hooked it up in the shop. The new fan motor should take all of about 15 minutes to replace and I'll have a working refrigerator/freezer again. Easy smeazy cheap fix. My wife got a new refrigerator for the kitchen, I get one for the shop :)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't that the way it always goes...they don't figure anyone to fix their own. But, on the off chance that someone wants to (like you) they price the replacement part so high that you think you're better off just getting a new fridge. Sigh..

Enjoy your shop fridge!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't that the way it always goes...they don't figure anyone to fix their own. But, on the off chance that someone wants to (like you) they price the replacement part so high that you think you're better off just getting a new fridge. Sigh..

Enjoy your shop fridge!

I absolutely love fixing stuff like this and making new things out of wood. I don't know maybe I'm crazier than most people.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sears has been on a downhill slide for years. Old, established companies never courted young people, who don't want to do business with stodgy companies that are not geared towards them. I resisted online shopping for a long time, preferring to actually set foot in a building. Am I ever glad that I got over that! I love doing just what you did, find what I want then go on a hunt for better price or quality. Young people grew up with hand held devices that tell them everything they want to know in a matter of a moment, like NOW. If a business cannot get with the times, it is going down.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another example... Yesterday afternoon my wife pulls up in her Honda CR-V. I can't stand that tiny car it's so cramped, the roof is so low I have to lean the seat back so my head doesn't hit the roof when going over a bump. And the seats are totally uncomfortable and make my lower back hurts. But she likes it and it's her car so that's what matters. It's really good on gas mileage too.

But she came in and told me she's got some grinding noise when she brakes. I ask her if she's got good pedal on the brakes and she said yes. So I grabbed.my keys and took it up the road. Sure enough brake pad is rubbing on the driver's rear. No problem she needs new brake pads - cake walk... I've never put brakes on it, so the orginal pads are on it. I'll go ahead and put ceramic pads on it with front and rear.

I went out to see if our local auto parts store O'Reilly has ceramic brake pads for her CRV. Yes they do but look at the prices... Remember I have to drive into town (my time & gas), pay Dick Durban for the privilege of buying them (sales tax), then drive back home again (my time & gas).

Front pads
Screenshot_2018-12-08-17-27-46.png

Rear Pads
Screenshot_2018-12-08-17-29-08.png

Total = 54.99 + 58.99 + Dick Durban (sales tax) + my time and gas times two.

Fleabay 28.99 plus 0 to Dick Durban and free shipping.
Screenshot_2018-12-08-17-32-23.png

Again... Duh, momma didn't raise no fool!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow! Huge difference between the stores and Ebay. I think the stores need to pay attention of Ebay is going to put them out of business sooner rather than later. I also prefer to go into a store for shopping, but seeing this makes me wonder if I shouldn't start looking online more...