Sufficient Self Forum - Let's have a heart-to-heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Polite suggestions have been asked for, sooo.. here's mine.

1. Identify the moderators with the title line only and also indicate how long or how many forums that they currently moderate. When I see the user name in the color purple show up in the reply frame, I say to myself uh oh! This discussion is over, the "Sheriff" is in town. :( Don't put your moderator hat on til its needed.) Most of us have been out of school for many years and I for one don't want to go back there.:lol:

2. Allow members to give ratings or thumbs up or down ( including what moderators say), some only want to agree or disagree period, but here you have to write it out and sometimes that can turn into a battle of wills. The anonymous ratings will speak for themselves. On other forums or product sales I simply do not read some things that have very low ratings, and that saves me a lot of time.;)

3. If you want this to grow you need to allow for more categories. Most, not all, have a political or spiritual reason for being ss and these are the driving trend for our planet right now, and even Emily Post now says its ok to discuss politics and religion. Having a place to do that in relation to being ss seems only natural, Give them their own room they are not children anymore. :) You can also drop categories that have little or no interest.

4. Allow for more sharing of links because that will only bring me back for more, not lure me away. :p

5. Personally and politely invite those who have left to come back, and trust them to be grown ups, a little humility goes a long way.:idunno

6. Eliminate the POW feature altogether, more room for new categories, let everyone post their pics in the threads or journals, dead vegetables or live vegetables? I prefer mine live please. :lol:

I do not post much, I'm just here to read and learn, I don't have the gift for writing that my sister Beekissed has but I hope what I have said will not be missunderstood. I think that all of the new resrictions (and some old restrictions) are what is causing the controversy here, and as long as there is no profanity, vulgarity, erotica, insults, or hate speech, that there should be as little censure as possible for opinions and ideas and beliefs.

P.S. Beekissed has not left, she has company right now, and will be moving in about a week. Dunno :idunno when she will be back here?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What I would like to ask the Mods is this...... a Journal is personal....right? Like a diary...so, if say I go into someones journal, and do not like what I read...then I have the choice to NOT read that persons journal. So, If I say something in MY journal...and someone doesn't like it...why should MY PERSONAL journal be edited or deleted. ( mine was not, just using it as an example) Now, if someone posts on the "open forum" Then yes...maybe some things need to be edited, a PM to the OP, letting them know why it was done so. Jeesh, we can't even speak our minds in our OWN personal journals any more???

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
BB,
I will, but she may put in an appearance early in the week before she packs up her computer so you can tell her.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Old Sew'n'Sew said:
BB,
I will, but she may put in an appearance early in the week before she packs up her computer so you can tell her.
Oh okay! I thought you meant she was gone until she unpacked....

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
BB,
"The Bat" told me she's moving on the 28th. I'm sure the computer will be the last thing in the truck and the first thing to unload. :) I don't think she will be online right away as "The Bat" does not have internet right now. There library will be some miles away. I don't know what are her plans?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone who participated in this thread in a helpful and encouraging way. Those that have broken the rules of the forum and also the rules stated at the beginning of this thread, your posts have been removed.

A few points of clarification:

1) This forum will always be moderated, and from time to time there will be posts that will need to be removed. We've experimented the other way, and things were not pretty. We wish we didn't have to have rules, didn't have to moderate posts or topics, or otherwise "censure" posts.

2) It is frustrating that we can't allow everyone that criticizes how we moderate the forum to come and see stuff from our perspective. What's amazing: Once a moderator has access to see all the stuff behind the scenes, and the "whole picture" it all becomes super clear why we do what we do and how we do it! I wish there was a way to give every single member the ability to see things from our perspective... especially those that feel there is bias or other weird moderator things going on, but unfortunately there isn't. All we can do is just ask that our members trust that we discuss the crud out of every decision and try to do what's best for our family.

3) We have moderator rules and policies as well. One of these policies is that any time a thread is removed, a person is sent a message to the effect letting them know if the thread was removed permanently or if it is being "worked on" and/or discussed. If this didn't happen, it was a mistake and we'll work hard to try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

4) We wish we could be all things to all people, but every good forum comes to the realization that they can't be. So, if a person prefer an environment where people can say whatever they want, when they want, and feel no repercussions for their actions because they use an anonymous username and there are no rules and no moderation, then SufficientSelf.com probably isn't a good fit. There are other places that provide this type of environment, but our experience has been that in the long term they aren't places people want to be in the long term. If on the other hand you want an environment where people can discuss great Self Sufficient topics in a friendly and respectful environment with some basic rules of conduct, this is a great place!

The moderators and I have received some wonderful feedback. We've been discussing the great ideas and suggestions posted and taken it to heart. We'll continue to discuss these important items and balance what people want with our experience and perspective. Our goals are to create the best environment for the open and respectful exchange of ideas and experience. We look forward to working with you to do this!

If you have any specific questions please feel free to send me a PM.

Have a great weekend!

:thumbsup

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
A quick follow up:

We've been getting a lot of PMs, notes, & reports from members basically saying, "Gosh, can't we just get past this and let go of all the drama!?!?"

We couldn't agree more! :thumbsup

One of the things that is unhealthy for any community is continued drama and having members revel in starting / fanning the flames.

With this in mind, we have seen a few cases where people say, "This place isn't what it use to be! There is too much drama and I hate drama, so I'm leaving and never coming back!!!!!!!"

(anybody see the irony in that statement?)

Well, we do. ;)

So, if you decide our community isn't for you, you're welcome to leave. Heck, you're welcome to come back, leave, come back, and leave again. We just request that you do so without making a tantremess production out of it. :D

On that note, let's start anew. If you aren't a fan of a friendly environment like we have here, we hope you find an environment that suits you better. For the rest of us... let's discuss being self-sufficient!!!

:woot

Status
Not open for further replies.